cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Welcome increase in Infinity download speeds

Some good news on download speeds. For the last few months my download speed has stabilised around 20Mbps - quite a reduction from the 38.59Mbps peak I achieved a few weeks after signing up back in Nov 2011.

So it was quite a surprise when I tried www.speedtest.net at the weekend and got 26.47Mbps and tonight it's increased to 28.52Mbps. Smiley Happy

Has anyone else seen a similar improvement in download speeds?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Welcome increase in Infinity download speeds

it does happen once the DLM sees the line as stable
0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 3 of 6

As John says, quite common when DLM sees a line which has had problems becomes stable again.  Might well creep up a bit more.  

It will be worth disconnecting and reconnecting the HomeHub each morning for the next few days.  Use the HomeHub web interface at 192.168.1.254, or reset or power cycle.  Do NOT touch the white modem.  Sometimes DLM gives an increase in cabinet to modem sync speed, but the higher level exchange to router connection does not notice the change; your IP profile is not increased and you do not benefit form the sync speed improvement.  These DLM increases are ususally scheduled to take place in the middle of the night.

RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the tip. Normally I would leave well alone but I'll try that later this week.

Things are slightly complicated as I run a weather station that uploads data almost continuously but I'm sure I can find a window. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
sjtp
Guru
Message 5 of 6

If you disconnect/reconnect using the web interface, I think the down time is somewhere around 30 secs to 1 minute ~~~ I've never actually measured it. It will mean the weather station needs to make a new connection and your external IP address will change.
0 Ratings
RayP
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

I reset my router last evening and conducted speedtests before and after.

Before = 28.01Mbps

After = 28.23Mbps

Just now  = 28.33Mbps.

A small but worthwhile improvement. I will do another few resets in the following days. The weather updates hardly noticed the break in service.

0 Ratings