cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laplands
Contributor
Message 21 of 39

Re: Welcome to rip off BT and slow broadband speed

This is a public forum. not your personal forum. so who removed this message left by someone else. i am paying £14.50 per month for my line rental and £18.50 per month for my broadband but its ok for BT to rip me off and not give me a service i am paying for. Yet when someone offers some alternate advice that the good old moderators of these paages dont like it gets removed. Since when have we lived in a communist country where freedom of speech is restricted. This is my post please leave alone what others have to say.

The post from Unwina went as this.

Sorry you to hear you have been having some problems, I can understand why you are not a happy bunny, don't forget to make sure you speak with customer care after your problem has been resolved. Depending on how long you have been having issues you should get some compensation for your troubles, push hard. At least whilst the problem is in evidence you should be recompensed as a minimum the rental paid.

If you don't get satisfaction I can recommend contactinbg the CEO there is a website somewhere that will point you in the right direction. Search google for ceeemail , there are currently two people for BT, I'd go for the one who might be related to a famous missionary explorer of africa ;-).

I used to work for BT some 5 years back and am sure there number of really good people who will be only too willing to help if they can. Oh yeah also I'd always go for the front end now its an 0800 number.

(I had a similar problem and it went on for months (sorry to dishearten), had a large number of people visit my home and look at the hub and connect their equipment to it. And after the 4th visit I suggested we could just try a new modem perhaps it was an old type 1 and blow me if it didn;t turn out to be new 21CN exchange equipment and the hub not being compatable. After it was replaced and the requisite 10day recycling and a couple of resets the speed has been steaming along at 14M for the last 18 months nicely. I got enough of a sweetener to stay so I did and still am.)

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 39

Myself and a near neighbour had an almost identical problem.  Very hard to trace, so the REIN team [repetitative electrical interfearance noise] became involved.  For the neighbour, it was a nearby DVD player, for me, it was an irregular short in the burgalr alarm system.

My speed went from low [worse than yours/nothing] to a now steady 9/10 meg.  We are not on Infinity [yet].

Within the same exchange, another customer had a drop about 11pm ish, regularly.  That was traced to the local supermarkets back-up generator sending a distorting signal onto the phone line.

All sorted, in the properties, and at the exchange.

Edit:

The issue would have been there, with any other ISP - maybe not V*****, but any Openreach line user.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
laplands
Contributor
Message 23 of 39

Many thanks for your input. i really appreciate you taking the trouble to give feed back. It seems to me that the best ever hub that BT crow about is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot and anything remotely electrical whether it be in my kitchen or the nearby supermarket makes this all singing all dancing useless piece of electrical cr*p called a BT hub react like a nervous jelly.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 39

I dont know if your room layout allows it, but you could try plugging a cable to the hub to the PC.  

The hub is good, but only as good as the connectivity, and that I learnt can be fickle with so many other random factors at play.

AQ.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 39

REIN problems unfortunately affect any hub/routers it can also interfere with TV's and radios radio based interference is a difficult problem to solve
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 39

@Hi John, yes, and it wasnt til it affected me and a neighbour, that I began to appreciate that.

AQ.

0 Ratings
laplands
Contributor
Message 27 of 39

Hi again. I have a pc hard wired into the hub using a cable and the speed is just as bad and its by no means a slow pc its got 4GB of ram in it and a dual core processor. The problem does,nt lie with my equipment if i take my laptop to a friends house who is with virgin and use his connection it flys along. Then i come home and connect to good old BT and i have time to cook a roast dinner and make my sandwiches for work the next day and do a full load of washing before the page loads.

John

Maybe i should put my good all singing all dancing BT hub in a lead box and wrap it in cotton wool to protect it from all those nasty radio waves that are out there. Funny that people use their laptops on planes and dont have any problems. Yet i am land locked on terrafirma and i cant get a descent connection. But then of course it cant be BT,s fault or their equipment can it. I dont suppose GCHQ,s listening centre are connected up too good old BT are they. You can picture the scenario. Spy sat in a darkened room listening into a conversation on his laptop, from some people in some dodgy country then all of a sudden. Oh cr*p ........... sorry 007 i have lost connection, someone flushed the toilet and my Hub had a panic attack.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 39

I know this isnt what you wanted to hear, as I didnt welcome this either.

You are in for a longer haul with this than a quick fix.Smiley Sad

If you've sent the info to the mod team, they will initiate the protocols to check out the issue. It took weeks, not days for me. It will 99% certain be sorted.

The way it works on here is that OP's like John46 flag up the tried and tested fixes that have workled for the majority. I was in the minority as sadlly you are.  Its annoying, frustrating, maddening, [caused arguments with my family/made booking holidays impossible online] etc.

A replacement hub might solve it, probably not. BT will have to dig deeper with your issue than most, as with me.  The forum is a good place to have a rant about it if that helps, OP's are trying to help, and its frustrating if nowt works, ATM.

The mod team are in direct contact with the engineers, in the exchange and at premises.  It will be sorted.  You might get compensation for loss of service etc etc, but welcome to the unlucky squad, none of us wanted to be in it. Most if not all come out of it.

My advice is work with BT to solve the issue, rant if it helps on here, but co-operate with those on the ground who are trying to help, they really do try.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

AQ.

0 Ratings
laplands
Contributor
Message 29 of 39

Thanks for your reply. I,m afraid it wont be taking months to fix my problem. BT cant honour their contract to me so i want some resolution to this either compensation or early release from my contract which i have 4 months left till it ends and i am off, that is for sure. But either way if BT cant deliver then they should quit false advertising on the tv by making out that their connection and equipment is the best and works fantastically when in the cold reality of daylight its cr*p. i was with pipex before using a belkin wireless router and never ever had a problem with speed or service. the only reason i left was i lost my connection for 4 days so i decided to switch to BT because of this. what a big mistake that was. What makes it worse was since i have been with BT and spoken to friends about my connection they have all said i was with BT and left to go elsewhere, followed by if i had known you were going to sign up to BT i would have advised you not too.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 39

Thats understandable.

But remember, unless you have a cabled option in your area, the chances are 99.5% you will have the same issue with another ISP. And "they" are not always up to scratch either, believe me.  The previous 4 day lost connection suggests to me a REIN issue I'm afraid.

AQ.

0 Ratings