Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psymon25
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

What a Joke....

Go to solution

How dissapointed can one be...

we are in a village in between 2 major towns rugby and daventry.

The nearest cabinet to our house is less than 1 mile away in Rugby, but according to BT infinity there are 0 plans to rollout to our area....

Is this a JOKE!!!! are you only caring about towns and cities and forget the rest of the country that do not live there!!! this country is truely prehistoric in terms of rolling out services to the home.

Seems like our village and many places in the UK are going to have to suffer forever for living outside of a major town, i cannot see sense in this! the majority of people we have in the village including myself spend periods of time working from home, there is also a large population of children and teens that would also like to access fast broadband services but cannot....

Its about time some sense came into play here i.e if we are that close to a cabinet / cabled area why not run it too the surrounding areas instead of letting us suffer on a max speed of 0.76K

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: What a Joke....

Go to solution

@psymon25 wrote:

How dissapointed can one be...

we are in a village in between 2 major towns rugby and daventry.

The nearest cabinet to our house is less than 1 mile away in Rugby, but according to BT infinity there are 0 plans to rollout to our area....

Is this a JOKE!!!! are you only caring about towns and cities and forget the rest of the country that do not live there!!! this country is truely prehistoric in terms of rolling out services to the home.

Seems like our village and many places in the UK are going to have to suffer forever for living outside of a major town, i cannot see sense in this! the majority of people we have in the village including myself spend periods of time working from home, there is also a large population of children and teens that would also like to access fast broadband services but cannot....

Its about time some sense came into play here i.e if we are that close to a cabinet / cabled area why not run it too the surrounding areas instead of letting us suffer on a max speed of 0.76K

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Do you know if there are any other ISPs that can deliver fast speeds in your area ?

To be honest, it's not completely fair to blame just BT, I suspect that Virgin Media haven't provided any access for your area too.

0 Ratings
psymon25
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
Bt are rolling out in the rugby areas not virgin... Virgin media are not actively rolling out all they are going to do is wait until bt finish cry to ofcom and hijack the cabinets ( so I was informed)

If bt are active in these 2 areas which according to the infinity site then why bypass other areas.

I pay for bt broadband and this is the fastest speed we can get in the village so we are stuck between 2 towns and virgin or bt do not care
0 Ratings
psymon25
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Does anyone from BT involve themselves in these forums? Is there an answer as to why we are unlikely to ever see or benefit from fast broadband services in the short future is it after all 2011 and behind most of the world for these kinds of services!!
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

They do care, firstly like all Isps  profit is the  issue.  I do understand your frustration, where I live I doubt very much infinity or equivalent will be available any time soon, I would guess I will have witnessed a manned Mars mission before I'm moved off Adsl Max and thats living in the middle of the largest town in the county i choose to reside in! 

However I do not blame Bt solely for this, in fact most major communication providers , land owners, government both national and local, and OFCOM are to blame. The list is quite exhaustive as usual in the UK we come late to the party with little preparation and only interested in profit.  The mods here are Bt employees.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
lmosley
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

People are getting dam inpatient lately, Everyday there is at least 1 thread like this on this forum.

Yes I know slow speeds are annoying but moaning about it isn’t going to get "your area" upgraded any faster. (As everyone is doing the same)

I live away from the major town where the exchange is so live in a smaller town. We were lucky to get 0.5MB and the town after us (that ridiculously also got serve by the same exchange) only about 50-100 of them could get 0.5MB because of a new pair BT put in after people moaning. Meaning the rest of the town had to put up with dialup. We now have infinity here. Near the exchange (main town) they don’t but in the outreach areas we do. Yes it makes a difference now were getting 37MB its super and yes were lucky to have it,

But the thing to to remember is everyone can’t have it at the same time as it takes time to install.

BT don’t have a magic wand unfortunately 😕

Another thing to remember is yep we were also not cared about by the Virgin giants. They stopped in the other major town after years ago promising to get into the other towns but they "Run out of money" More like a cba to do it. So there as bad as well don’t just blame BT as virgin also have the capacity to theoretically upgrade areas too 😉 (All as bad as each other money grabbers)

All you can do is wait and be patient im afraid 😞

I will agree with you on one thing though I don’t get why FTTC is somehow getting priority installed in areas where they already have Virgin? Wouldn’t it be logical to install it where people don’t have the option so they will use infinity for faster speeds? Shouldn’t slow non virgin areas get priority or am I missing something?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Imosley- Shouldn't’t slow non virgin areas get priority or am I missing something?

Divide and conquer, the op alluded to Virgin being allowed access to Bt Infinity as a reseller, so weaken your competitor in its own market first, then spread out. 

The scenario you suggest would have Bt spending billions on slow areas and then have Ofcom come along, actually its not fair you have spent all this money, we are going to force you to resell your product to your competitors at a price we set.  I can see those shareholders now "LOLd".

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

If it costs "X" amount to expand infinity to another area and in doing so you are looking at a unjustifying wait to return that "X" amount then why would you invest in extending?

Its business im afraid.
Plus there is also a threshold of 15mbs you need to achieve before they set infinity up for you. However this may change to 5mb.

As for Virgin they are a joke. BT wanted to use Virgins ducts to reduce the cost of deploying Infinity but were not allowed to. Where as BT are obliged to offer a wholesale service to other ISP for Infinity, Virgin straight away announced they will be buying the services to provide in areas where Virgin media is unavailable and where Infinity is available. That also is business.

Who knows? if they money was saved you maybe would be on an Infinity connection and this thread might not even be here.

0 Ratings
psymon25
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Good comments thanks, I agree it makes more sense to outreach and widen the Market area which then adds more scope for customers who are bound to sky to look at other cable based tv solutions aswell as faster broadband.

I would love to have the option to shop around and even use some of the on demand features that my consoles have for movie rental etc.

After speaking to a number of people in kilsby (our forgotten corner of the world) the consensous us the same: access to faster broadband and the option to switch to cable based tv / on demand services.

Here's hoping that one day before I'm old and grey that we may see this device reaching ours and potentially other areas facing the same issues
0 Ratings
psymon25
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
may see this device : oops great iPhone autocorrection mare:)

Should read may see this service
0 Ratings