cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

What a joke.

I have just been contacted by Mike Galvin, the person responsible for the routing of lines and the rollout of fibre optic broadband about why I am not connected to the nearest or second nearest exchange.  At first he tried to blame the post office saying that they laid the lines during WW2.  During WW2, this area was just a field, the first houses were built here just 12 years ago.  He then tried to explain it by saying 'thats just the way it is and there's nothing we will do about it'.  I saw a video of an interview he done on youtube, where he says how important customer satisfaction is and how it is important to get it right first time every time (his words), yet he has not got it right, refuses to accept responsibility and refuses to fix the problems caused.  He also told me that due to the number of lines on the exchange they did connect me to, that there is no chance of getting upgraded to infinity any time soon.  He refused to answer why a smaller exchange was among the first to get upgraded, despite only getting 88 votes in the race to infinity.  He said that the smallest exchange they will look at is 4000 lines, which mine is (just) but the exchange that was upgraded has only 3600 including business and residential.

He has blatently lied to me and refuses to undo the damage done by his company.  I have already spoken to Ian Livingston who it seemed couldn't care less.  What other steps are available to me to take this further as I am not happy with the response from either of these people, and am still suffering stupidly low speeds, despite infinity being available 200m away to the houses connected to the nearest exchange.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: What a joke.

Ultimately, you have no right to broadband.  BT don't have to offer you any sort of broadband at all if they don't want to.  The only obligation they have is to provide a working phone line, and only then if it's reasonably practical to do so.

Openreach wires up phone lines however suits them best, based on where their existing ducts and poles go, and wherever there is spare space at the exchange.  Unless you're willing to pay silly money to have a whole new set of lines installed to a different exchange, Openreach aren't going to do anything.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

This is from the BT terms and conditions:

BT Total Broadband service terms (These terms and conditions come into effect on 31st July 2011) What we provide

1. The service we agree to give you includes:
  1. a high-speed network access to the internet;
  2. helpdesk services; and
  3. other applications and features as described at www.bt.com/broadband.

You will need to have a BT compatible telephone line to enable  you to receive your BT Total Broadband service.

It suggests to me that if I opt for the service, I do have the right to broadband.  The problem would have never exhisted if BT Openreach hadn't been so short sited and stupid.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

If they have agreed to give you broadband, then they have to provide the service.  However, what "high speed" means is a matter of opinion, really.  There's no particular definition.  When I first got broadband, it meant 512K only, for all customers.

Ultimately, I have never heard of Openreach re-routing cables so that somebody can get better broadband.  It just doesn't happen.  Especially since it isn't Openreach's problem.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

High speed is higher than 2 meg.  You say it is not there problem, but I intend to make it there problem.  By the time I finish, they will wish they had never tried to screw me.

0 Ratings