cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
welshgirl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

What affects my broadband usage and limit?

Clearly downloading impacts your usage and allowance but does use of services like BBC iPlayer?  Last month BT reckons I bust my limit but I don't understand why and there's no history on my account. I download very little and the stuff that comes in email is low level. So, wondering if watchingTV online or one viewing on iPlayer might have pushed me up by 5GB or more.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: What affects my broadband usage and limit?

that all counts towards you limit unless you are using btvision - remember upload counts as well

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
welshgirl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Yes, I do have BT Vision but had definitely watched one episode on iPlayer on a PC. So please confirm that if I use it via BT Vision it doesn't count toward your allowance.  What about via my smart TV?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

if you watch via your btvision then it does not count but if smart tv connected to internet then watching iplayer will count

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 6

If you use iPlayer or other VoD on BT Vision it doesn't count against your allowance, but if you use any other source like your Smart TV or PC it will.

Also excluded from your monthly allowance are BT Talk and uploads to BT Digital Vault, although downloads from BTDV will count.

A 1 hour HD programme on iPlayer is about 1.2GB. Remember that your PC does a whole lot of accessing behind the scenes, for example software updates. Little things like animated gifs can be surprisingly large too. Some mobile devices make heavy use of the cloud behind the scenes too so, for example, if you're editing a document on an iPad it is constantly shoving data through the internet even though you think you're just working locally. Auto backup facilities on anything other than BTDV will also cause a major hit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@welshgirl wrote:

Clearly downloading impacts your usage and allowance but does use of services like BBC iPlayer?  Last month BT reckons I bust my limit but I don't understand why and there's no history on my account. I download very little and the stuff that comes in email is low level. So, wondering if watchingTV online or one viewing on iPlayer might have pushed me up by 5GB or more.

There is a guide to Iplayer usage on my help pages.

0 Ratings