Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Message 11 of 31

Re: What do I need to send back?

@jlh478 wrote:

You are probably right.  I just need this to go right.  I am facing the next few weeks without broadband and I have almost certainly lost my landline number and I need to find a new provider that will activate my line again. The last thing I need is BT trying to bill me for equipment.

Make sure and use your MAC code within the time specified is the T&Cs or BT will charge you for that too. If you fo to a cable or LLU provider who don't need it you'll be charged anyway.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 31

No I am not switching provider.  BT are cancelling my account. As in.....my phone line will go dead tonight and that is it.  I will need to get a new provider to reactivate it but I am looking at tesco broadband and they will reactivate it free.

I take it in that situation I have lost my landline number?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 31

BT don't give out a MAC number anymore. It's up to the next provider to get in touch with BT apparently.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 31

@minusdot wrote:

BT don't give out a MAC number anymore. It's up to the next provider to get in touch with BT apparently.

Under Ofcom regulations, where a consumer or small business (with 10 or less employees) wishes to change broadband provider, a MAC must be issued within 5 working days of the request. 

Companies must offer at least two methods of providing a MAC (by email, phone or post etc).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 31

@zulu17 wrote:

@minusdot wrote:

Under Ofcom regulations, where a consumer or small business (with 10 or less employees) wishes to change broadband provider, a MAC must be issued within 5 working days of the request. 

Companies must offer at least two methods of providing a MAC (by email, phone or post etc).

if you are being fully disconnected then there will be no MAC

if you are on a fibre based product then there is no MAC

You can only receive a MAC if you are migrating from one provider to another on an ADSL based product.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 31

Well I'm just changing ADSL providers. I asked for the MAC number and was told that I didn't need one. And sure enough TT didn't ask me for it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 31

@minusdot wrote:

Well I'm just changing ADSL providers. I asked for the MAC number and was told that I didn't need one. And sure enough TT didn't ask me for it.

I heard they were looking at implementing the same rules as for changing lines - where you new provider informs your old provider of the change over

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 18 of 31

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 31

@StewM wrote:

It's still at the discussion stage http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/11/telecoms-regulator-to-reveal-improved-broadband-isp-swi...

Yeh, I didn't think it had been passed yet as I knew when I moved back to BT from a rival FTTC provider in our area, I had a couple of choices

1) Install new line for free and start new contract for line, phone and broadband - this would give zero downtime but meant changing the number and 2 lots of rental for a short period of time

2) Cease and reprovide - meant downtime of anything from 10days (and as moving from one rival FTTC Network provider to BT I had to rely on the old provider to clear the tags, but with all the issues I was experiencing with the ISP and wholesale provider I couldn't guarantee this would go smoothly)

3) Slam the line which removed all tags, but had chance of loosing number and being down for 10 days

I went option 1, but when engineer came out as it was after 5pm and dark he couldn't go up the pole, so when i told him i was getting rid of other line anyway, he said he could repatch at cabinet if I was happy to do this and would only mean i was down for about 15 minutes, otherwise would have to book another visit. So i went with the change at the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 31

Well, this morning I still have a dial tone but when I try to ring out it says the number isn't recognised.  Is that normal?

0 Ratings