cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pocketbrown
Message 1 of 10

What does the installation engineer do?

Go to solution

I have just ordered the BT Infinity Home Hub 3 and have an engineer coming out on the 2nd Jul, but I am wondering what the engineer is actually going to do?

If it is just pluging in the router and configuring it I am more than capable of doing this and setting up the various PC's and MAC's in the house. If it is just pluging it in and configuring then I would rather not have to work from home that day.

If this is all they do can I just get the equipment, do a self-setup and cancel the engineer?

Thanks Mark

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: What does the installation engineer do?

Go to solution
no m the engineer replaces your master socket face plate delivers and installs the OPENREACH modem and connects it to the hub move connection's from the old street cabinet to the new fibre cabinet he also carries out all nesssasary checks to ensure you get the best possible speed there is NO Self install option
pocketbrown
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for this. Great response. I am keen not to waste peoples time if it is not nessacary, but definatley sounds like the engineer is required. 

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Self install is being trialled. The only thing the customer couldnt do is the external work at the street cab.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

Self install is being trialled. The only thing the customer couldnt do is the external work at the street cab.

Which means an engineer is still required.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
No engineer visit.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:
No engineer visit.

But will still need to do the cab work, I know what you mean though.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@pippincp wrote:

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:
No engineer visit.

But will still need to do the cab work, I know what you mean though.

Yes exactly. It just makes things exactly the same as if someone changes providers where the work is done in the background by an engineer at the exchange.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

No, it would still require work at the cab, not just the exchange.  So it would still be more than a current provider change; just less than a current FTTC install with a to the house visit.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@sjtp wrote:

No, it would still require work at the cab, not just the exchange.  So it would still be more than a current provider change; just less than a current FTTC install with a to the house visit.

Thats not what I was talking about. I said it would make things like they are when people change providers as in its all done in the background without the end user noticing.

0 Ratings