cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: What fibre speed should I be getting, based on these figures?

you may be better looking at your local paper for a telecom engineer and see if they can do what you want - probably ex openreach anyway

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

if you have extension wiring connected to bottom master faceplate have you tried removing the bellwire from terminal 3 in master and extensions  you only connections on termianls 2&5    

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 22

The master socket had an I-Plate retrofitted. Bizaarly, removing it has increased the speed at the entension (original post).

6. Data rate:9995 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate:18638 / 42757
8. Noise margin:12.1 / 8.0
9. Line attenuation:28.0 / 21.0
10. Signal attenuation:27.9 / 18.7

But not to the speed of the test socket. The extension is flat cable, so I suspect that may be a problem.

Would I be better wiring the extension in in Cat5 cable?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

You could or you get a longer rj11 shielded modem cable which should be ok. So leave router at test/master and then run rj11 to hub

belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

0 Ratings
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 22

With the modem/router plugged directly into the NTE5 master socket the speed is slower than plugged into the test socket, so I think the extension wiring must be adding noise.

This is the test socket speed:

6. Data rate:	        9995 / 39993
7. Maximum data rate:	19506 / 57298
8. Noise margin:	12.7 / 11.7
9. Line attenuation:	25.5 / 20.5
10. Signal attenuation:	25.4 / 20.0

This is the master socket front plate speed (with extension wiring attached):

7. Maximum data rate:	18638 / 42757
8. Noise margin:	12.1 / 8.0
9. Line attenuation:	28.0 / 21.0
10. Signal attenuation:	27.9 / 18.

Keeping the modem at the master socket isn't practical, as there is no nearby electrical supply, plus I have ethernet connections which are routed to near the extension socket. I therefore need to maximise the potential speed at the extension socket.

p.s. it is a HomeHub5, so doesn't have a seperate router and hub.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 22

I can't see where I said you had a separate modem!

instead of using the 10m of extension cable to run from master to router you could use an rj11 modem cable (this is the cable which connects from filter to hub) which is shielded and gives better connection

0 Ratings
bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 22

I've replaced the flat extension cable with CAT5 2 pair CW1724. Replaced the extension socket for a double one with in-built ADSL filter and omitted the bell wire. Replaced the modem cable with a 1 metre long CAT5 cable. This is the result:

7. Maximum data rate:	19083 / 53981
8. Noise margin:	12.3 / 10.7
9. Line attenuation:	25.7 / 20.8
10. Signal attenuation:	25.5 / 20.0

IMG_20160506_204452.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

Looking good and when you get the infinity 1 upgrade it will be even better

well worth the effort

bedfellow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 22

I've only been contracted to Infinity 1 for ~2 months, just before the speed increase to 52mb, so I have another ~10 months to wait to contract renewal to get the upgraded speed. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 22

No, I think they are rolling it out to everyone now. Even if they weren't you could have re-contracted.

0 Ratings