cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

What fibre speeds will I expect to get???

Getting closer and closer to being able to order fibre. I'm aware that I won't be able to get close to the top speeds due to my distance to the cabinet. I'm about 1.0km from the cabinet via road and about 0.7 as the crow flies. Which one will the cables follow and what speeds could i roughly expect if all goes Well??? (I'm aware that there's many variables for this like quality of copper wire etc.) I'm hoping for at least 20 down, is that possible??

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: What fibre speeds will I expect to get???

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

The cable certainly won't go direct, it will probably follow the road but may take a circuitous route. You should get 20Mbps.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

It depends on the quality of your line and the distance you are from the cabinet.

See graph for speed over distance on a perfect line. You should be able to get about 20/25Mbps or there abouts. 

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

All depends on the cable gauge, how many people are on that cable, what DSLAM type and how many subscribers are on the Fibre Card in the DSLAM.

I've witnessed someone on a 2km get 28mbps. This was for a business on a new build industrial site. The site was fed by a brand new 100 pair cable and they were the only ones as yet to have a phone line. I seriously doubt they've still got 28.

I've also seen someone on a 300m line only get 35 tops. They were on a 0.5 gauge 10 pair Ali cable and the other 9 lines in it also had VDSL so all their speeds were being killed by the crosstalk.

When was your house/estate built, that'll give you a good idea as to what your line might be made of.

Houses built in the early to mid 1960's tended to have 0.9 Ali. Late 60's to early/mid 70's 0.6 Ali then mid 70's to the very early 80's they used 0.5 Ali.

The reason the size of Ali they used over the years got smaller was because it was cheaper and didn't require so much duct space.

After about 1983/1984 they went back to using mostly 0.5 copper as the price of it became cheaper.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the replies everyone. John46, the checker doesn't list fibre speeds yet as it's not available. The cabinet has only just been completed. And I'm not sure when the house was built but it is at least 60 years old. We've been here for 20 and the landlords mum lived here for many years before that. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?? Also. As the cabinet is new and I can't imagine many people getting fibre (live in a village that's like 95% people 65 and above lol) will speeds be better if hardly anyone is on the dslam??
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

In short yes.

The less people who take service from it, the less likely other circuits are to affect yours.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

You might be OK, it could be all brand new(ish) cable. To be honest there's no way of telling with the exception of an Openreach Engineer proving your pair all the way back to the cab.

Houses built in the 1970's to early 1980's are almost virtually guaranteed to be 0.5 Ali and still are because back then the GPO had this wonderful idea of putting cables Direct in Ground. Fast forward 30/40 years when the cables need replacing they can't just simply pull in new cabling through ducts but have to dig up entire pavements/roads. Because of the cost of that Openreach will now only replace 10m sections at a time.

I've literally come across people whose homes are 50m from the DP but it goes through 4 joints before it even gets there!

That's why you should never buy a house with Direct in Ground Cable, the chances of you getting FTTP are virtually zero anytime soon.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@Littlepace wrote:
 As the cabinet is new and I can't imagine many people getting fibre (live in a village that's like 95% people 65 and above lol) will speeds be better if hardly anyone is on the dslam??

So you think us over 65s don't use broadband then!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Haha I'm just generalizing but most people near me don't even have a computer so I can't imagine there being an influx of orders when it available
0 Ratings