cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

What happens next?

I live in Wales and my nearest cabinet has gone live for FTTC, however I live a mile away from it. Checking the BT broadband availability checker shows FTTC available speeds between 6 and 16.5 Meg depending on clean, impacted etc. This is not amazing but far better than the 3 meg I'm currently getting on ADSL. I went to the BT products and services web page and looked at what broadband packages are available to me, because of the distance I can't get infintiy but it did say I was in a fibre enabled area and offered me 'Unlimited Faster broadband' and 'Unlimited Broadband', I'm already on an Unlimited Broadband package with speeds of up to 17Mb.

My questions are:

1. Apart from all the extra things like BT cloud storage and weekend calls etc is there a speed difference between Unliited Faster Broadband and Unlimited Broadband to justfy the higher monthly cost?

2. If I'm already on a package that is for up to 17mb shouldn't BT be getting me as much speed as avaible without me having to ask for it? (personally I feel this is unlikley)

3. Finally as I'm in Wales, will faster speeds be availbe to me under the Superfast Cymru project, or will I be one of the unlucky ones?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: What happens next?

the unlimited faster broadband is same as infinity - fibre to cabinet and copper to home - but because your estimated speed is less than 15mb BT don't sell infinity for speed less that 15mb but they sell unlimited faster broadband

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 13

Hi Bigmac77,

Unlimited Faster broadband is BT Retail's FTTC service for those who are estimated a speed of about less than 15mbps on FTTC.

The service is delivered to the property the same way as FTTC (ie via VDSL2) and the equipment will be the same as a FTTC install.

Unfortunately Superfast Cymru will not be revisiting areas were PCP's have been upgraded and linked with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet which enables FTTC.

However FTTPoD may be offered, however with this will come a big install and monthly fee (may be looking into the thousands), have a look Openreach FTTPod charges http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF... for the install costs and montly fee (please bear in mind that the ISPs may add their charges on top of this)

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Here is the info from the BT Broadband avaibility checker.

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 16.5 10.4 1.2 0.8 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 13.6 5.9 1 0.6 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- 31-Oct-14
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

so upgrading to faster broadband you have a range of 16.5/5.9mb depending on line quality  better than your existing conenction but will it justify the extra cost

try options team and see what is on offer  there is no commitment and they are uk based  0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 13

Bigmac77,

I'm afraid that as FTTC is already available to you (even though the estimated speed, isn't that great however is an improvement of the ADSL speeds) that Superfast Cymru will not improve the infrastructure in your area at this time.

Unfortunately FTTPod (Fibre to the Premises on Demand) is also not available to you at this time, but may be in due cause. Though as already stated could cost a lot of money.

Things may change in a few years time, however as more funds may be allocated and new technology rolled out.

However at the moment, if you want FTTC then BT Retail's Unlimited Faster Broadband (FTTC) is available to you and you are estimated a speed which is an improvement on your current ADSLx broadband service

For more info onBT Retail's Unlimited Faster Broadband (FTTC) service go to http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47740/~/what-is-unlimited-faster-broadband%3F

As imjolly has posted, if you want to get BT Retail's Unlimited Faster Broadband (FTTC) then call the UK options team, and you can negotiate a good deal.

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Unfortunately Superfast Cymru will not be revisiting areas were PCP's have been upgraded and linked with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet which enables FTTC.

This may be true but the way BT are dealing with my area is a bit odd IMO, the cabinet is near to a handful of preperties but the majority of properties it serves are more than a mile away from it. Maybe they are going to put a node in nearer to me.

I have looked at FTTPod because I own and run a caravan park and whilst the cost is a lot I can claw this back by charging for the internet on the park. However it is currently too expensive and I'm going to sit tight for the moment and just see about getting more speed from my lines and maybe going down the bonded or load balanced route.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 13

Bigmac77,

If it's for your Business than maybe have a talk with BT Retail's Business ISP, BT Business as they may be more helpful to find a solution for your Business and have more of an option on what service they can provide. Also they have more customised service and more prioritises aimed at Businesses.

Their website is http://business.bt.com/

Their forum is https://business.forums.bt.com/

I think the BTBusiness options team can be contacted via 0800 800 152

Try a Search
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

The questions above are for my personal non business broadband line. But I also have a business line for my caravan park wifi system. I thought I'd see what I could do for my self first as the park closes in December and I'll try and sort that out then.

Thanks for your help guys.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

I have signed up for the Faster total broadband package install date is the 4th of November and are supplying me with a HH5. They said I would not need an engineer to visit the property just to plug in the HH5 on the 4th, is this correct? I've never had a fibre install before.

0 Ratings