cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

What is 'copper boosting'?

I live in a rural location and get about 2.3mb.  I spotted an OpenReach van down my lane recently and I exciteldly asked if he was here relating to Fibre or gfast.  

I wasn't surprised when the engineer said that he wasn't.  But he did mention that BT are rolling out 'copper boosting technology' that should see rural customer get about 30mbps.  That speed, around here, would be a dream come true!  He said to watch out for green boxes being erected on the telgraph poles.

Can anyone tell me what this copper boosting technology is or how I can get it?  I'd glady pay for it!

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: What is 'copper boosting'?

Another name for G.Fast

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

If they were G.Fast distribution points then surely they would need fibre to that point, would be close to premises and would provide much faster speeds than 30Mbps. Densely populated urban areas are the obvious candidates for G.Fast as it only works over shorter copper distances.

Another possibility might be amplifiers?
See this article on possible trials of VDSL Broadband Amplifiers (VBA's). http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/amplifiers-supervector-boost-uk-fttc-broadband-speeds-r...

Are you in a trial area?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hi - yes, it does sound like VBA. I don't think I'm in a trial area - I'd love to be though! Is there a way to find out?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

No, it's not that. He did mention that, but only to say it's unlikely we'd ever get it because we're so rural.
0 Ratings