cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

What is going on with my internet? Good speed, then terrible

I am completely fed up with this internet service at this point.

Last year I was getting speeds of around 8 Mbps for most of the year.  Over this last winter it has been up and down and I haven't had consistent speed for months.  Yesterday afternoon I had 8.3 Mbps download, now I have 1350 kbps, which is the lowest it's ever been.

I'm just sick of the complete inconsistency at this point.  I don't pay for internet just for the hell of it, I want a dependable and consistent service.

There is no way I can check for noise on the line as I am hearing impaired AND have tinnitus, I only use the phone line for internet and don't even have a telephone, is there any way the line can be checked without me having to make a call out as I do not want to be billed if it turns out the line is OK?  Although how it can be OK with this awful service I've been getting recently is beyond me.

Edit: and now it's back up to over 7 Mbps.  That's fine - if only it would stay that way!  When I check on the BT line checker to see what speed I should be getting, it gives a range of between 6.5 and 8.5 Mbps.  I'd be happy if it stayed in that range, rather than being sub 2 Mbps the vast majority of the time.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: What is going on with my internet? Good speed, then terrible

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Here is my BT Hub page - this is how it looks at the moment and the noise margin is very low, however at one point yesterday this would have looked entirely different with a low speed and a very high noise margin - all you are getting is a snapshot at the moment, which I do not think is going to be particularly helpful, because as I said, my problem is that my connection changes every couple of hours - an hour from now it could be down to less than 1 meg, and that's been the problem for a few months now.  But sure, if you want to see how it is right now, then here it is.

Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 1:16:48
Downstream 8,791 Kbps
Upstream 1,087 Kbps

ADSL settingsVPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 3.0 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 37.0 dB / 20.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 13.0 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 11
Loss of Signal (Local) 1
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 22187169 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 26502 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 11

Results of BT speedtester:

Download speed 7.54

Upload Speed 0.92

Ping 40.63

As I said earlier, it would be fine if it stayed like this but it doesn't.  The only reason I'm able to post this right now is that I have a good connection right now - I often have periods of several hours where I cannot connect to the internet at all.

I do not have one of those modern sockets, this flat was built in 1975 and I doubt that much has changed since then.  I certainly do not have a test socket.  No extensions, no phones, just ADSL filter and hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

your router reset/dropped conection just over 1hr ago - was that a manual reset?

your stats show a high number of errors for only such a short time conencted suggesting line noise.  have you tried replacing the filter with a new one as they don't last forever.

you really need to check your line for noise so is it possible to get someone to help to do the quiet line test?  I would like to try an eliminate your home conenction in case you need an engineer and problem in your home resulting in a bill for £129 for callout

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

No that wasn't a manual reset, and yes that is the problem - it does that regularly often cutting off our internet for hours.

No it isn't possible to get someone in to do a quiet line test (we don't even have a test socket), both of us who live here are hearing impaired, my parents would come from 50+ miles away to do it if I asked, but they are elderly and also have hearing issues.

I am not calling someone out on the risk I will be charged.

My question is: is there any way to check my line from the exchange. I guess the answer to that is no. I'm already a bit annoyed about having to have a 'calling plan' for which I am charged alongside my line rental and broadband, because I don't have a phone and do not make any calls (what with being deaf), and I'm a bit put out that there is no other way to check for noise on the line rather than me finding someone who can hear to come round and do it for me. They'd have to bring a phone cos I don't have one, and I don't have a modern socket either, so even then it wouldn't be a proper test, would it?

All I want, is for my internet to work at the speed suggested for my line which is 6.5 to 8.5 Mbps, and for it to be stable at those speeds.  I'm not just occasionally checking the internet - we may be a bit old and a bit deaf, but we're not dead - we play games online multiplayer, and need a good connection for that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

is it possible to get a neighbour to check for you as we are trying to help you and also stop you from possible charges
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/reporting.do?pageId=21  try checking here

are there any exchange problems http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Hi imjolly & john46,

Did you notice he has zero output power ?  Is there any significance in that like there seems to be for AlanF ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

no that is normal - check some other stats - it's a bug

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

which version of the home hub are you using
0 Ratings