cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yanic
Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: What is the current state of play re BT Smarthub / HH6 - would appreciate a moderator's response

Hi there I just wanted to say you are not alone  with your smarthub I am on about phone call 20 to BT.  And you are right at least this time they are starting to admit that the current firmware on the smart hub is broken .  I just wish they were trained staff better out of 20 phone calls I have had about 20 different implementations of the support on offer for some reason they do not like singing from the same cribsheet .  It is also potluck as to the quality of the information they offer and the help they can provide .  One lady even wanted to send an engineer to my property even after I told her that my old home hub 4 was working perfectly 

Either way my smart hub has now been factory reset again and another smart hub is being sent my way .

BT  can you please acknowledge that there is an issue with the firmware and please let us know what you are doing about it. 

Please be a little bit more transparent it's an awesome piece of hardware  has an extremely flaky bits of software running on it 

0 Ratings
Yanic
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Re: What is the current state of play re BT Smarthub / HH6 - would appreciate a moderator's response

As per someone else's recommendation I would like to 2nd that BT should and could offer an option whereby the customer provides their own router. Of course this would be at a discounted rate perhaps somewhere in the region of £5-8 pounds per month discount .
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 18

The problem with offering that choice is the support nightmare that it would become. Every man and his dog would of course blame BT for every problem.

And how would BT test a "wires only" service? Today at least they *could* connect to your hub and so at least prove the service to your home is operational. With one of dozens or hundreds of different routers connected, none of which they have access to, they could no longer do that.

As I use my own router I'd welcome a few quid off the bill, but to be honest I'm happy paying what I do, knowing that a small extra investment gives me a rock solid, trouble free connection. 85 days and counting.
0 Ratings
Yanic
Contributor
Message 14 of 18

I cant imagine it would be too hard to offer a service whereby you can line test up to the VDSL modem from Openreach. They could even go so far as to release a new master socket with integrated VDSL modem. I'd like to imagine that BT could integrate some nice service checks in to this and could never have to deal with customer issues like this again.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 18

@Yanic

Hi,

There is a (slight) possibility that in the future use of your own kit and never seeing a Hub can be achieved.  Openreach are attempting to have all manufacturers make their devices compliant with BT SIN 498.  Part of the compliance is the ability for OR to verify compliance.  So if they can do that then they (OR) know the line is good as far as the customers modem.  So help desk can say 'line is fine to your kit, the problem is your hardware,  thank you for calling , goodbye'.

Problem solved, though most folks using their own kit will already have figured out where the problem lies and only need to contact the help lines with a line fault or similar external issue.

Don't hold your breath though, BT moves slowly.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

@Yanic

The Openreach modem is no longer provided with all providers either offering their own VDSL routers or third party ones as infinity type services are now mainly self installs and filtered faceplates are now normally even provided

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 18

The modem, to which SIN 498 is looking for vendors to demonstrate compliance, is one component of a CPE. But what about the router?

There's a recent example in No internet connection and confusing event Log where the modem appears to be connected at 60Mbps, but there's no Internet connection. The problem isn't resolved yet, but is it with the Hub (probably as it's a Hub 6 Smiley Wink) or with the BT Consumer i.e., the Communications Provider (CP) infrastructure?

Another example is IPv6. BT Consumer, with which people coming here have a contract, have recently enabled IPv6. We've seen many problems with things not working as they should where the users have routers from reputable vendors such as Netgear, TP Link etc.

If IPv6 is not working yet there's an IPv4 connection, it's not a problem with the line. That's Openreach off the hook, but not the CP. So the problem could be with the CP infrastructure or the router. If the CP completely wash their hands of the issue they get more bad press. If they get involved they use resource investigating an issue that may well turn out to be with the router.

I think we're a long way from a world where a CP will support a user with their own CPE. And let's not forget this isn't a BT only approach. Sky, Talk Talk, Virgin etc., all do the same. And it's no different in other countries.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Not because BT move slowly, but because CP globally know this is not a good approach.

Regards

0 Ratings
Ian7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Hi,

Re your loss of the home page after a firmware update, are you running Kaspersky if so its not a Hub problem but a Kaspersky problem

See

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Warning-Kaspersky-and-loss-of-admin-screen-to-Sm...

I had very similar problems when my router updated, once I had re-installed the antivirus and factory reset the HH6 it now seems to work reasonably reliably as a HUB. 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Getting it to work reliably with my Chromecast devices is another matter !!

However, on a daily basis its range and speed is much better than the HH4 it replaces and it has been up solid now for 12 days giving me 51Mbs on infinity 1, so I am using it and hoping things improve with future firmware updates.

(Also, re your connection problem its worth trying another cable between the HH6 and the wall socket, ideally a twisted pair as the supplied one is cheap and nasty)

0 Ratings