cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 1 of 62

What on earth is going on with my connection?!

So, Infinity installed and activated on Tuesday (18/10). OR Engineer informed me I was the first to have infinity installed on the Peterborough Central (01733) exchange so whether this has contributed to the problems I am experiencing and about to enlighten you with I do not know but anyway..........

Day 1 - Installation went a treat. Engineer arrived at 2pm and was gone within the hour. Took my first BT Speedtester test @ 4pm and results were as follows:

Date                            Download       IP Profile                   Upload            IP Profile

18/10/2011 16:00       34025 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 7757 Kbps       10000 Kbps

Internet was used up to around 11pm without any problems before I called it a night.

Day 2 - Woke up in the morning, turned on PC, opened IE9 and could not browse any pages. Just a blank screen with the little loading icon spinning in the tab at the top of the page. Thought nothing of it, went to work, came home around 7pm, turned on PC, opened IE9 and same again. Could not browse one single page. Phoned BT India, explained all the lights on my HH3/modem were working as they should and both my PC and Hub manager confirmed I was connected to the Internet. We proceeded to reset IE9, done a factory reset on the HH3, even tried my laptop (both wired and wirelsss) to see whether I could browse any pages but none of this worked. India said they would do further checks that night and call me back by 9.30pm. They never did, I accepted defeat and went to bed.

Day 3 - Woke up around 4am, decided to try IE9 and heaven above, I was able to browse the internet again! Went back to bed, got up, went to work, came home in the evening, turned on PC, opened IE9 and again all was great!!  BT Speedtester tests taken that day were as follows:

Date                            Download       IP Profile                   Upload            IP Profile

20/10/2011 04:30       34550 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 8253 Kbps       10000 Kbps

20/10/2011 19:05       26370 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 8010 Kbps       10000 Kbps

Day 4 (yesterday) - Turned on PC for first time at around 4:15pm and for the first 3 hours all was great. Then the **** hit the fan again and all of a sudden, whilst pages were loading, they were literally taking minutes. Some simply wouldn't load at all! Phoned India again, was informed I had a fault on my line and an engineer would contact me. BT Speedtester tests taken that day were as follows:

Date                            Download       IP Profile                   Upload            IP Profile

21/10/2011 16:40       14462 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 4469 Kbps       10000 Kbps

*21/10/2011 21:40      579 Kbps        38718 Kbps                 2871 Kbps       10000 Kbps

*Test taken in the midst of all the troubles.

Day 5 (today) - OR Engineer arrived at around 8.30am without prior notice. He does a line test and all was ok. He had a text message on his mobile that said I should be receiving the full 40mb down / 10mb up. I turned on PC, opened IE9 and surprise surprise all was working as it should again. Because of this, the OR did not conduct any further checks, said 'if it ain't broken don't fix it' and left! All seemed good until 3.30pm when pages were again becoming painfully slow. I again phoned India who said they'll send another engineer out to me in the morning.  Anyhow, this continued until 11.30pm (40 mins ago as I write this) when everything started to work as it should again!?! BT Speedtester tests taken today were as follows (I could not take any other tests in between as the internet was simply too slow to cope):

22/10/2011 09:30       35671 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 8136 Kbps       10000 Kbps

22/10/2011 12:15       35816 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 2168 Kbps       10000 Kbps

22/10/2011 15:15       33660 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 8185 Kbps       10000 Kbps

22/10/2011 23:35       35565 Kbps     38718 Kbps                 8228 Kbps       10000 Kbps

So what on earth is going on here?! I know it's not the PC, I don't believe it's the equipment (hardware or software).  It's like someone turns a switch on and off as and when they'd like my broadband to work?! I have practically sat at the PC for 8 straight hours trying to load pages to no avail (or at least taking far too long to load) then suddenly out of nowhere, it starts to work as normal again?!

If it's working in the morning when the engineer arrives what's he going to do? Absolutely nothing! I don't need to be Einstein to know that come the afternoon it'll go down again!

Has any of you ever experienced anything like this?  Please say you have and if so how on earth did you rectify it (assuming you have)?!

Any advice/help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Paul

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
61 REPLIES 61
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 62

Re: What on earth is going on with my connection?!

Yes! I am experiencing the same thing [after 3 months of perfect internet],profile is good 38717/10000 but download is at about 27-30 [off peak] and upload [off peak] is only 4000k,used to be 8100k.
Speed testing with the BT tester gives me "threads used 16!" on the upload test then cuts it from 8100k to 4000k.
I don`t know what that message means but it certainly messes my speeds up.
And like you,sometimes the net is ok,then for no reason it slows right down or stops,no pattern to it but it seems wierd to me on Infinty.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 62

Thanks ironman and sorry to hear you're experiencing similar issues my friend.

Tbh though, I'd chop my arm off for 27-30mb right now!  When my connection plays up yet I can somehow manage to run a test, my download speeds have been averaging at around 0.50mb yet my upload speeds have remained at 7-8mb? One download speed test was as little as 0.07mb! My god even dial up is 0.56mb!

I seem to get that 'threads used 16' all the time pal and I got it on my last test only an hour ago but I still got an upload speed of over 8mb so I have a feeling there's more to it than what you say.  The majority of time, when my connection has been good, most tests have given an upload of approx 8mb but as highlighted in my previous post, one did drop to 4mb and two have dropped to 2mb.

It's a funny world we live in!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 62

Try testing the speed of your router ports mine were dropping from 100mbit to 10 mbit common problem, changed to a differnt router and been connected 10 days no problem, they are sending me another one but i`ll ony keep it for emergencies! I had same sortof thing some days 3 blue lights but my pc was saying it wasn't connecteed to the network so id turn off the router then id have no bradband, the router are **bleep**.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 62

I use a Draytek 2750 and all ports are working at 1Gb using cat6 ethernet.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 62

My problem is solved,but I don`t like the reason.

It was caused by my Draytek 2750,I swapped back to a Belkin N1 and the OR modem and my upload and other probs just disappeared.

Also even though wall mounted the draytek was getting real hot and my wife said that she could smell an electric burning smell when she went near my desk.

At £168 quid it will definately be sent back.

martpu,

As my probs were related to a modem/router combination [the draytek is a modem and router in one box],it seems that you could need a new OR modem or HH3 [or both].

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 62

Really pleased to hear that mate, even if it isn't really the outcome you wanted.

Of course it could well be either the HH3, hub or both. Personally, I don't think it is as like I mentioned in my opening post, it's like somebody switches a button on and off as and when they want me to use broadband. Take yesterday for example, from 8.30am-3.30pm the internet was working perfectly. From 3.30pm-11.30pm, I struggled to do any browsing as pages were that slow. From 11.30pm onwards and as I write this at 7.30am, it's working perfectly again.  And I bet you now at some stage this afternoon, it will practically come to a complete standstill again.

Engineer arriving between 8am-1pm but if it all looks good, what can he do?! I need them to be here when it's not working properly. Given I'm in the 10 day training period, I've tried to use the internet as much as possible as suggested. Perhaps in my case this is having a reverse effect and slowing me down or throttling me instead?!  It has to be something between the exchange and cabinet or a fault at both as the only things that have changed my end are 1. The face plate to the master socket, 2. the HH3, 3. the modem and 4. the cables attached to both and given one minute my broadbans is fine and the next it practically stalls, I think the issue rules out any hardware/software fault.

But maybe chasing this equipment is worth a try?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 62

Hi martpu,

See what the engineer says today(surprised they are working) and lets hope the news/outlook is  good.

"PM sent"

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 62

Cheers Tony. As mentioned in PM, it is 100% playing up again now.  Took about 30 seconds to load this thread when it was immediate when I first turned the PC on at 7am. Even loading up the 'Reply' page took just as long.

I'm actually pleased as hopefully now the engineer can see what I'm having to put up with.  I have never known anything like this in all my 5 years of having broadband. More issues in 6 days of Infinity than 5 years of BT Total Broadband?!

Will let you know how the engineer visit goes mate.

All the best.

Paul

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 10 of 62

Just an update but ran a Speedtest.net test 2 mins ago. Whilst it took a good 5 mins to complete the test due to literally having no speed, it did manage to fully run it and my results were as follows:

Download - 0.10mb

Upload - 0.07mb

Just an hour earlier before the troubles began, the results were as follows:

Download - 36.82mb

Upload - 7.77mb

It's actually becoming shambolic now and I can't even be asked to get angry!

0 Ratings