cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 21 of 62

Re: What on earth is going on with my connection?!

ironman,

The engineer who came Saturday morning did a line test himself and said everything was perfect.  In addition, in the 4 years I was on Total Broadband I didn't have one line problem and my Snr barely rose above 6-7db.

If I listen to the dialling tone it sounds perfectly normal but I'm happy to do a test myself although I can't recall how you do it.

Are you or anyone for that matter able to share how to do this?

Cheers.

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 62

its 17070 option 2

[edit] best with corded if possible.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 23 of 62

Cheers Tony,

Unfortunately we only have cordless phones but I did the quiet line test (option 2) and I couldn't hear a peep so I'm guessing that rules out a line fault?

I've been informed that the OR engineer will replace both the HH3 and modem on Thursday so I suppose I'll just have to take it from there and if it fixes it great. If it doesn't then my assumption is that there's either a problem at the cabinet or the connection between the fibre and copper wires.

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 62

@martpu wrote:

Cheers Tony,

Unfortunately we only have cordless phones but I did the quiet line test (option 2) and I couldn't hear a peep so I'm guessing that rules out a line fault?

I've been informed that the OR engineer will replace both the HH3 and modem on Thursday so I suppose I'll just have to take it from there and if it fixes it great. If it doesn't then my assumption is that there's either a problem at the cabinet or the connection between the fibre and copper wires.

Paul, try and look on the bright side. You have now got a bit of spare time to get on with the decorating.Smiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 25 of 62

Haha! Decorating? What on earth is that?  My motto is 'If at first you don't succeed, ask Dad to help you'!!!

Just me being curious but if there was a line fault (but I no there isn't), what are you expected to hear on the quiet line test? Crackle and that kind of thing?

Cheers pal!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 62

send your dad round here then,,

On the line noise , yes crackle , that kind of thing, With a cordless phone you you can sometimes get a dull hum which is okay.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 62

@toekneem wrote:

send your dad round here then,,

On the line noise , yes crackle , that kind of thing, With a cordless phone you you can sometimes get a dull hum which is okay.

I miss the router stats!!!!! Smiley Sad

In this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1509465&highlight= the chap had speed problems "now in the new place it's 3.5Mb"

You could see his ADSL Noise Margin was high... yet his downstream attenuation was quite low... meaning he should have been whizzing along.

Quiet line test revealed "I took the faceplate off and plugged the phone into it but still had static"

Result.- "BT engineer was out, found a fault with the cabling. Now connected at around 16meg"

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 28 of 62

Hi Paul,

I was on total broadband for a year, with no issues.

I can get very few speed test to works, but when i do, I get results similiar to you.

I get a lot of phone calls from India, to say they are working on it, but I don't believe any of them!

Like I said, I've cancelled my DD and will try and source my broadband from someone else soon if this isn't resolved.

Wish me luck?!

John

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 29 of 62

Well I've no idea what's going on John but again the internet was working when I woke up this morning and wasn't when I got home from work?!

I decided to ignore the 10 day training period malarky and turned off my modem. I turned it back on and now all is working as it should again?!  I'm not saying I've cured it but from 4.15-6.15pm the internet simply would not load any pages.  I turn the modem off and on and I've connected to the internet immediately! So this suggests to me that the modem is completely at fault but whether something so simple as turning it off and on has fixed it, well, if it works for the rest of today and tomorrow (which has yet to happen!) then I'm guessing it maybe has!!

Now one other thing. I was initally connected by ethernet but I decided to disconnect my network and now I don't know how to re-connect via ethernet?! When I click on my network connections I only get the choice to connect wirelessly.  Is anyone able to take me through the process of connecting via ethernet?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 30 of 62

It's ok.  Managed to figure it out myself!

Internet still working after a whole hour (talk about kiss of death)!!!!!

0 Ratings