cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 41 of 62

Re: What on earth is going on with my connection?!

Hi David,

I've since established that it's not an Infinity enabled HH2 unfortunately.

Latest update on connection is that I couldn't browse at all this morning prior to work at 6.15am but since I turned it on at 4.15pm, all is working as it should (but trust me, it WILL go down soon!!).

I honestly think it's the modem so I'm going to ensure the OR engineer changes that no matter what in addition to any other checks he can do.

When the internet has been painfully slow yet I've managed to run a speed test, the download speeds have varied from 0.07mb - 1.5mb but when it's working, it's always between 34-37mb so there's obviously a massive drop in connection somewhere.  Touch wood it's just a modem replacement on Thursday and all will be sorted!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 42 of 62

@martpu wrote:

Hi David,

I've since established that it's not an Infinity enabled HH2 unfortunately.

Latest update on connection is that I couldn't browse at all this morning prior to work at 6.15am but since I turned it on at 4.15pm, all is working as it should (but trust me, it WILL go down soon!!).

I honestly think it's the modem so I'm going to ensure the OR engineer changes that no matter what in addition to any other checks he can do.

When the internet has been painfully slow yet I've managed to run a speed test, the download speeds have varied from 0.07mb - 1.5mb but when it's working, it's always between 34-37mb so there's obviously a massive drop in connection somewhere.  Touch wood it's just a modem replacement on Thursday and all will be sorted!

When they change the Modem... Smiley Wink try and do the (FTTC) speedtest  http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Whilst the engineer is there.

This is to make sure your IP profile hasn't reduced. Some people after a modem replacement had a much lower IP.

And received different help sometimes the Openreach engineer gets on the phone and requests/actions a profile reset there and then.... others it's not my job and you have to contact your ISP.

Here is an example post of Stuart helping on that.

Only a couple of days to go... fingers crossed.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 62

Hi Martpu,

Good luck on Thursday - the version 3 modem that I have, has a white power supply/plug and the cable to the modem from this plug is also white. I originally had the version 1 installed on the 10th Aug, which was about the time the version 2 with black plug and lead was introduced. That version is still around, the guy who came around recently (13th Oct) and fixed my star wiring only had the version 2 on his van.

Michael

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 44 of 62

Hi Michael,

That's the modem I have now mate :0(  If they are meant to be the more reliable then I'm just hoping mine's the bad one of the batch!!!

And thanks mate.  Much appreciated!

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 45 of 62

np is forum and internet slang for "no problem" proberly used more in the US though,but I have travelled a lot in America.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 46 of 62

Ahhh I get you now!!

Well I've no idea what's going on but I expected to have been forced to stop browsing hours ago but I'm still going?!

I'm sure this is only a little restbite before it goes down again in the very near future but this is the best connection I've had since Thursday (5 days ago).  Nevertheless, even if it doesn't go down again before the engineer visit this Thursday (which is unlikely given I haven't been able to browse normally for 2 straight days), I'm still going to make sure the modem is changed.

Just one other thing I'm curious about and I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but whenever I run a speed test via speedtest.net, I've noticed that when the download test is taking place, the green graph that accompanies the test will be practically level one minute running along the top then they'll be a sharp fall even though the speed might say drop from only 37-36mb before it rises again (almost in a V shape if you get my meaning).  Is this perfectly normal?

Cheers. 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 47 of 62

Are you refering to a speedtest.net graph.?
Opps! sorry I see that you are now.

To put it simply,that green bar should be as smooth as is possible,as those dips indicate a latency [lag] problem.and a really jagged bar indicates that the connection to that server is bad.

Try a pingtest.net run as that will tell you if you are getting packet lose.

Packet Lose should always be 0.

Ping in ms should be as low as possible,but can be higher with distance,in the UK 10-40ms is ok.

Post your readings from pingtest.net back here if possible.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 48 of 62

Yes mate. You only get it on the download part of the test and it's underneath the flucturating speed figure as the test is taking place.

Edit: Not the graph under the My Results' tab btw!

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 49 of 62

Re-read my other post.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 50 of 62

I get dips and then the next test 1 min later another dip in a different place... I've assumed it's when another Infinity customer is doing a heavy bit of downloading and it's clashed with my test.

Mind you I hope your dip doesn't stay in exactly the same place!!! That would be strange???

If so try the test to different servers perhaps.

Suggest you keep some screenshot evidence then you could show the engineer.

My little dip.-

Speed dial.jpg

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings