cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: What options are there when Fibre Broadband isn't fast enough?

@rjlucker wrote:

Our master socket is like illustration 6, although the phone line passes through a small (filter?) box on the way into the master socket.

Richard 

What does the filter box look like, as there should be nothing before the master socket? I wonder if its something that should have been removed, like an old DACS or WB unit?

I assume the home hub is plugged directly into the broadband socket at the front of the master socket?

Any extension wiring must come from the back of the bottom part of the master socket.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Is the filter box not just a junction box which connected the incoming openreach wiring to your internal wiring - normal 1 wire in and another 1 out to master

is the extension socket connected to the the master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Thanks Keith,

The internal wiring consists of a single wire from the phone socket on the master socket to an extension socket on the other side of the same room.  Unplugging this from the socket does not affect performance or line noise.

I believe that the issue is with the line to the house which is both a long distance from the cabinet and in an area that has historically been prone to picking up radio interference from local transmitters. When engineers have been out (including when they replaced the cable from the post to the master socket) they've never achieved a sync speed of more than 24 Mbit/s when they've tested the line.

Cheers

Richard

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Here's the master socket.

I was incorrect in my previous post - the phone line doesn't pass through the filter box; the filter box is mounted immediately above the master socket.  This is all recent; a new line and new master socket were put in a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Richard

PXL_20210128_161343537.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

@rjlucker wrote:

Here's the master socket.

I was incorrect in my previous post - the phone line doesn't pass through the filter box; the filter box is mounted immediately above the master socket.  This is all recent; a new line and new master socket were put in a couple of years ago.

Cheers

Richard

PXL_20210128_161343537.jpg

That just looks like a connection box. A filter would upset your broadband.

Unscrew the front and see what is inside, I expect you will find just a connection strip.

Does your phone line come in from a pole?

Its possible that you are not going to be able to get a faster speed, but its always worth checking at the test socket, but you have to take the master socket apart, and you would need a microfilter as well.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Thanks for all of your input,

I've attached a photo of the contents of the connection box below in response to the previous request.

As mentioned previously, the speed that engineers have been able to achieve in the past via the test socket have been consistent with the actual speeds I get, so I'm confident that any speed limits are due to the quality of the line into the house rather than equipment or wiring within the property.

Given the lack of viable options available from BT (or any other fixed line provider) I've signed up to 3 unlimited mobile broadband on a rolling monthly contract so that I can split connections within the house between the two (and can cancel if it doesn't work out).  So far it appears to be working well and actually returns better speedtest results (except for the ping time) than my BT line for less money.

It's still frustrating to be paying for two separate broadband connections, but this seems to be the best compromise for me at the moment.

Richard

PXL_20210201_131817202.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

@rjlucker wrote:

Thanks for all of your input,

I've attached a photo of the contents of the connection box below in response to the previous request.

As mentioned previously, the speed that engineers have been able to achieve in the past via the test socket have been consistent with the actual speeds I get, so I'm confident that any speed limits are due to the quality of the line into the house rather than equipment or wiring within the property.

Given the lack of viable options available from BT (or any other fixed line provider) I've signed up to 3 unlimited mobile broadband on a rolling monthly contract so that I can split connections within the house between the two (and can cancel if it doesn't work out).  So far it appears to be working well and actually returns better speedtest results (except for the ping time) than my BT line for less money.

It's still frustrating to be paying for two separate broadband connections, but this seems to be the best compromise for me at the moment.

Richard

PXL_20210201_131817202.jpg

That filter should not be in circuit, as it will affect your broadband speed. Not sure why its there.

You should be able to bypass it by connecting the in and out together without using any of the existing terminals. Just join the two loose ends together, and see if it improves your speed.

Be aware that there will be 50 Volts DC across the wires, so make sure your hands are not wet, as it will tingle.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

where does the 2 cables at bottom left of master come from/go?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

We need to see all the connections in the master socket to understand what is going on.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

That reminds me of the filters we used to fit to prevent radio interference on phone calls, from nearby broadcast transmitters. This was before the days of broadband, and it looks like its never been removed. It may have been assumed that it was just a junction box.

Its not going to help VDSL.

0 Ratings