cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

What part of the phone line and sockets is BT responsible for?

Go to solution

My phone line, from the point it comes out of the ground, goes first to a small grey box outside, then runs along an outside wall before coming into the house to a small white box, then on another few metres to the master socket. I've a few questions.

1) Which part of this is BT responsible for please? I'm asking as different rules seem to suggest different things.

2) If the line rental is paid to another provider which, if any, parts will the other provider become responsible for please?

3) If I need to re-route any part of the cable after the grey box, is this something I am allowed to do, or must BT do it? If BT must do it, is there a charge and how much please?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: What part of the phone line and sockets is BT responsible for?

Go to solution
Openreach is responsible up to and including the master socket all extensions are your responsibility

you are not allowed to change anything before the master socket

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Is your property quite new ?, if so search x NTE for a while on new builds, instead of bringing an external cable inside your property and terminating it on a NTE 5 type master socket, Openreach used these external network terminating equipments, so the engineer can check the line is ok to the house without needing access inside it, if this is the case with you,then Openreach's responsibility ends at the Xnte and the cable from it to the socket inside is your responsibility.
If you have a more common NTE5 master socket, OR are responsible upto the test socket inside the NTE5, with the usual exception of damage caused that isn't fair wear and tear , like chopping the cable with a spade, although that's OR's side of the
master socket, the damage would be charged for
It doesn't really matter who you pay line rental to, if a fault is raised then Openreach attend, not the people you pay line rental to
If you have a Xnte, then the cable from it can be re routed by you or anyone you employ to move it, but only if it's a Xnte
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks both. Appreciated.

There are 3 eras on the wiring. The master socket is an NTE5 which was fitted I think in the early 2000s after the old socket developed a fault. The wire from there to the box just ebfore it goes outside may be early 70s. From there it is 1987. The grey box outside has the old style logo of a T with a couple of dots (the one phased out in 1991) and is held shut by a short piece of green cotton cord. I Googled XNTE and on another forum found a thread where someone posted a photo of something that looks like the one here and was told it was actually a BT66.

So, OR's responsibility then.

Re charges, there are 2 issues.

1) Close to the box where the wire comes into the house there is a corner where the PVC covering split open quite a long time ago as it gets bumped with every vacuuming. With the location of the wire it is/was unavoidable, so I assume general wear and tear. Is there a charge for fixing this please?

2) The re-routing. The porch needs replacing and the wire currently comes in through a panel in it. So the wire will need to be disconnected for the building work and then re-connected at bare minimum. I'd rather though have the cable come in a different route that takes the same distance but avoids drilling holes through a new highly insulated porch. Is there a charge for either of thes please?

Where would I find a table of any charges and timelines for asking the work to be carried out please?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
as there is damage yes it will be chargeable you will need to contact BT sales and arrange an Openreach engineer charges will most likely be 129.00 +
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you John. The damage is due to where BT tagged the cable along a skirting board when it would have been the same distance and just as easy to take it up to the ceiling and across. So, unfortunately, it was inevitable from the way it was installed that sooner or later the PVC would split where it did.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
'Thank you John. The damage is due to where BT tagged the cable along a skirting board when it would have been the same distance and just as easy to take it up to the ceiling and across.'

Up to the ceiling and across? Not even Kelly's or Quimms Tech's would tac a cable along a ceiling!
0 Ratings