Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CuReLeSsVeNoM
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 19

What's Happening??

Go to solution

Ok so been connected now for a couple of months and must say I love the speed of Infinity and couldnt live without it now. I have been looking at my stats to see how things are going and since I was first connected with these stats:

Data rate: 19999/79995
Maximum data rate: 39539/115993
Noise margin: 24.3/16.6
Line attenuation: 0.0/12.5
Signal attenuation: 0.0/12.6

I'm now getting:

Data rate: 19999 / 79995
Maximum data rate: 28446 / 87452
Noise margin: 14.5 / 7.4
Line attenuation: 0.0 / 12.4
Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 12.5

As you can see my Maximum data rate has dropped by over 28000 with my noise margin dropping with it too. I was the first person connected when our cab went live. Although I'm still connected at 79995 which I assume is the max possible???? I'm just concerned that shortly I'll start losing my sync speed.

Any ideas if this is a problem on the line or simply congestion/interference in the cab?

Also is 79995 the max possible on Infinity 2?

Regards,

Todd

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: What's Happening??

Go to solution
As more people go live on your cab, the noise increases and so your noise margin falls
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

When you first get Infinity it starts of with a high speed and during the "training" period, when your speeds may fluctuate up and down, DLM (Dynamic Line Management) works out what is the fastest stable connection that your line can support. Once this has been established it is often lower than the initial speed you started on. 79995 is the max on Infiity2.

0 Ratings
CuReLeSsVeNoM
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Is there a way to test if i'm on Fastpath?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Why?

0 Ratings
CuReLeSsVeNoM
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Why do you think?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

I have no idea why you want to know that's why I asked!

For your info as far as I am aware there is no way of telling with your BT Homehub. DLM could put you on it one day but not the next. An indication is by doing a ping to bbc.co.uk and if it's below 10ms then you will be on fastpath.

0 Ratings
con_dorleone
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution
Ridiculously daft question - but is there anyway to find out how many connections there are in a cabinet? Probably not.
0 Ratings
CuReLeSsVeNoM
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution
gg30340 FYI most people will ask about being on fastpath if they are a "Gamer"... Although I am no serious gamer I do believe that fastpath is better for ping times.

I found your question to be more of a "dig" at me for even asking the question. Like it's not allowed. However, I hope I have gave you a little enlightenment on the subject.

I was previously with BE* for my broadband and "Gamer Mode" was an option via the members area so I am keen to try and find out what I'm on. Thanks for the ping tip to bbc.. I'll give that a try 🙂
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

It was not a dig at you, you can ask as many questions as you like but apparently I can't. If I had known the reason I would not have asked. I am not a gamer so thank you for enlightening me.

0 Ratings