cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peteman35
Message 1 of 9

What should i expect?

Hello everyone, i just had my bt connected yesterday 24/12/2012..

i was expecting good speeds at first but it seems as it keeps dropping off? it spikes from 0.2 megs up to 10 megs. but mainly stays at below 1.

Ive read everything i can telling me to leave it on as long as possible etc.. it hasnt been the 10 days yet.. obvouisly.. 

But i was expecting it to be at least 5 megs... my ip profile says its set at 16.21 megs so should be around what i should be getting? but im not even getting close to that at the moment...

should i just leave it and see what happens? 

Thanks Peter

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: What should i expect?

Yes just let the line train for its full 10 days and leave the hub connected 24/7 with NO MANUAL RESTARTS
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Was the speed test done using an Ethernet cable connection?

0 Ratings
peteman35
Message 4 of 9

No the test was done wirelessly. but i can physically tell its slow.. its worse than what we had before, and thats the only reason i went for bt is my friend was getting good speeds and stabilty from bt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

That is why you are getting a variable speed, wireless gets a lot of interference, that is why the BT Speedtester say you must run the test using an Ethernet cable.

You could try a different wireless channel, to see if the speed is more constant.

0 Ratings
peteman35
Message 6 of 9

Well i can always plug a laptop into the hub and give it...

Well i can always plug a laptop into the hub and give it a go... what channel would you recommend me using

0 Ratings
peteman35
Message 7 of 9

Re: Well i can always plug a laptop into the hub and give it...

ok just tested it wired, its exactly the same as wireless.

We do have the hub into a extension lead? as in theres a extension from the main phone socked to the phone and hub. obbvouisly there is a splitter etc.. 

0 Ratings
peteman35
Message 8 of 9

ok just went past everything that the book says and unplugged it, and its now plugged straight into the main socket. 

the ADSL settings now for 20mb instead of 16mb's so im guessing it was the accient lead that we were using. 

just did a speed test and it is set at a constant 16mb see how it goes but it doesnt seem to be dropping off like it did before

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

It sounds like in that case you have an internal wiring problem
0 Ratings