Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

What the heck is a battery fault ?

Go to solution
I have been having some disconnect problems.
Plus some other order problems that I think have been sorted out.
However today I received a call about my order and disconnection issues and the man said he could see some battery problems
I did ask what did he mean by battery problems but I was still left confused
It might be it's just late at night and I dident quite get it ?
But what the heck are battery problems and what have they got to do with my line and broadband disconnections
I'm not often left confused but this call left me wondering what battery problems can BT see that I can't?

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I might understand a bit more if it is written.
Many Thanks
Millie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 300m from FFTC Cab 3. BTw exchange enabled @ 80/20. Actual attainable speed over wifi - 78. Oh Happy days ..until DLM kicks in 😛
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: What the heck is a battery fault ?

Go to solution

From what ive seen, and heard (this happend to me) a battery fault is where your line is making contact with another line often caused where water is acting as a conductor

Edit: You should probably report this to 151 as a line problem and get this sorted out if you havent done already 🙂

If you liked a post, please click on the 'Ratings star' on the left hand side of the post.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
Yes what boudges said is correct. Basically a contact fault. Often in joints but can occur in cable lengths too.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

The negative and positive wires of your cable pair are known as the battery wire and earth wire. If either of your wires are in contact (touching) the negative wire of another customer's pair it is referred to as a 'battery contact'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution
Thank you commenters
So it's kinda like crosstalk?
Anyway I noticed my net was down this morning with no sync showing on the tplink router.
Does that mean they have fixed the battery fault? Or crosstalk ?
I seem to be connected ok today😀 Although I have not yet tried the bthomehub just the tplink one
Many thanks
Millie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 300m from FFTC Cab 3. BTw exchange enabled @ 80/20. Actual attainable speed over wifi - 78. Oh Happy days ..until DLM kicks in 😛
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
No, a Battery Contact and Crosstalk are completely different things.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

@Millie1 wrote:
Does that mean they have fixed the battery fault? Or crosstalk ?

try a quiet line test, if its a battery fault then there would have been noise on the line 

If you liked a post, please click on the 'Ratings star' on the left hand side of the post.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
I have to admit I'm rubbish at trying the quiet line test.
I don't use a landline and I have to search in a distant dusty drawer for a hand set. Although I know the importance of the quiet line test.
@telephone bob could you please explain the difference
@ Boudges.. why would a quiet line test differentiate between cross talk and battery problems
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
Crosstalk is Electromagnetic Interfernence induced from other pairs in the cable length.

A Battery Contact it exactly what others have said, where one or both of the legs on your pair come into contact with another pair, either by physically touching or something acting as a conductor between the two. This will cause audible crackling and possibly over hearing the conversation of the line you're in contact with.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution
Right
Erm I blonde so bear with me. But I'm beginning to understand.
I know what EMI is and that it's caused by electromagnetic interference from other electrical devices such as Christmas tree lights, central heating, lifts and such. I remember this from school and faraday cage stuff.

I'm still getting disconnected periodically. So I'm guessing the fault has not been fixed. I'm struggling to understand how Openreach would be able to detect if pairs in the legs where connecting without investigating the 300 metres of copper from my house to the cabinet?

If it a is a battery fault causing these disconnections. What can I do to prevent it happening?
And if so how are they fixed? Is there anything I can to do to help the problem? How can I stop one or other legs on the pair touching each other ?
Nonetheless I'm still getting disconnected periodically. So something is touching something inappropriatlly. That won't do will it 😛 Because I'm still getting disconnected.

0 Ratings