cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meannieb
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

What to do when a previous occupant won't cancel their account?

My parents have recently moved into a rented accomodation, my mum had told BT when she wanted her phone and broadband services to begin. After not receiving a modem she called BT to be told that her order had been cancelled as the previous occupant had not cancelled her account. My mum has spoken to the previous occupant who basically seems to be planning on not paying her bills or cancelling her account with BT. Unfortunately my parents have moved to a small village where the only internet provider is BT and has limited mobile phone service so can't even contact them herself. Any ideas if there is a way around this so that the previous occupants account can be cancelled and my parents account can be set up?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: What to do when a previous occupant won't cancel their account?

Hello,

BT will cancel the account if you are now living in the property, I'm sure BT will get it sorted for you.

Make sure you contact BT asap or you could find letters from debt collectors dropping on your doormat every day.

I would personally contact the forum mods:- http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Allow upto 4 days for a response from them.

Hope you get it sorted 🙂

0 Ratings
meannieb
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thank you.

They have been in contact with BT who say they can't do anything until the previous tenant contacts them. It's all a bit infuriating!

Thanks again Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

I'll flag this for a moderator to see what they can suggest.

0 Ratings
ttyrie
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

I've just flagged it up now 🙂

Hopefully they will send you a message, get the line cancelled, then Happy Days 🙂

Message 6 of 8

Hi Meannieb,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I can look into this for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contacts us" form in the about me section of my profile.

@Ttyrie. Thanks for flagging this up.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
meannieb
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thank you both very much!

I have emailed details.

Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
webduck
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

"Unfortunately my parents have moved to a small village where the only internet provider is BT"

That's unbelievable. They can have any internet provider they want! So can the village!

0 Ratings