cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

When does the new BT Mail system begin?

Go to solution

I'm still on BT Yahoo Mail, and having read the BT information pages all BT Yahoo Mail users should receive emails notifying them of the changes to be made and new BT ID log-in information.  I have been using the updated BT log-in page directly from BT.com homepage for months now which works brilliantly.  However, I understand that tne new BT mail system should begin very soon and I am getting concerned as I have not received an email informing me of the date of change to the new mail provider or how the changes will affect me.

Is anyone else in the same situation or have you all received your notification emails.  If anyone has any further information could you please update me of the latest situation please.

Many thanks and kind regards.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: When does the new BT Mail system begin?

Go to solution

For us the change happened about a week ago.

It's an utter pain in the backside as now you can't stay logged in or set up a link to access emails you have to manually log in every time you want to check your mail.

But then this is BT, what else would I expect?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Nobody, apart from new customers are on the new BT mail yet. All that has happened, is that the BT Yahoo portal has closed, so people are being re-directed to the BT home page, in preparation for the transfer to the new BT webmail page.

The e-mail servers are already being provided by Critical Path.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Ok, but the result is the same (and thanks BT for not bothering to tell us it would happen)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@dhphoto wrote:

Ok, but the result is the same (and thanks BT for not bothering to tell us it would happen)

They did https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Changes-to-BT-s-portal-and-email-services/td-p/876712

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

So I had to stumble past here to find out huh?

What if I didn't?

Bit glib to assume every BT email user uses this forum, perhaps a general email might have been a good idea?

My wife, who is unlucky enough to use BT mail, has never even heard of this forum and found she couldn't access her mail, so I had to sort it for her, but then BT expects everyone to come here? Hilarious

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

There are two very strong reasons to use a separate email provider (eg google, microsoft) from your ISP.  One is that you will have no email related complications when you wish to change ISP.  The other is that many ISPs provide inferior email infrastructure (and from the huge number of complaints about both the old and the new BT email systems you can see BT are no exception to this).

If you change now, you can keep the BT email for communication with BT and the (rare) sites that insist on an email address from a non-free email provider, and forward all your BT email automatically to your new one.  Inform you friends of the change of address, and then they should (almost) all be using the new one if you later want to leave BT.

Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

There are two very strong reasons to use a separate email provider (eg google, microsoft) from your ISP.  One is that you will have no email related complications when you wish to change ISP.  The other is that many ISPs provide inferior email infrastructure (and from the huge number of complaints about both the old and the new BT email systems you can see BT are no exception to this).

If you change now, you can keep the BT email for communication with BT and the (rare) sites that insist on an email address from a non-free email provider, and forward all your BT email automatically to your new one.  Inform you friends of the change of address, and then they should (almost) all be using the new one if you later want to leave BT.

Extremely good advice, I use both Gmail and Yahoo (although Yahoo is awful at present) but I have always been reluctant to use email forwarding for important mail as it used to be so slow and unreliable, perhaps it is better now.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
I use Google as my active account, and for historic reasons also have an old Yahoo account forwarded to Google. I find that mail sent to Yahoo is forwarded and arrives at my gmail within seconds.

You can usually arrange forwarding and keeping the email on the original server just in case; but then you will have to sort out duplicates when you visit the original server.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Many thanks for all of your very interesting and informative replies.Smiley Happy  I do have other email addresses which I use for occasional contacts but the one I use most, including for most of my local committee work is BT, so as you can probably understand I don't particularly want to change it another one as I've been using it for a number of years.  I'll stick with BT and see how the new mail system goes first, if I get too many problems I'll think about changing it.

Many thanks and kind regards.

0 Ratings