cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

When will BT stop misleading its customers?

Go to solution

Before arranging home visits by engineers, BT tells its customers: "There is no charge for us to fix this unless the engineer finds our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp. In these instances, a charge of £129.99 will be applied to your BT bill."

After the visit has been arranged, BT tells its customers: "It's £129.99 if the problem's with your set up or equipment, if we improve your home wiring or setup to resolve the problem."

Those two statements are clearly different. The first will lead many customers to arrange engineers' visits in the belief that they won't be charged. The second will lead many customers to cancel those visits because they might well be charged.

The BT agents and supervisor I spoke to all failed to explain this contradiction satisfactorily. And the two messages are not just accidental: they are routinely sent to all customers and can only have originated at the top. 

When is BT going to stop misleading its customers? How can it justify arranging apparently free visits which actually cost £129.99?

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: When will BT stop misleading its customers?

Go to solution
0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

I have seen it.

You haven't answered my question.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

I can only refer to whatever is on that page.

Did you want to dispute a charge?

0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

Sorry, I thought you were a BT official.

Any idea where I can get an answer from them and not just be fobbed off?

0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

In answer to your question, I've arranged a visit but am thinking of cancelling it because of the possible charge. Above all, I believe BT should not be allowed to get away with misleading its customers as I described.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution
The link is very clear as to what is chargeable and what is not
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

@PostTruth wrote:

In answer to your question, I've arranged a visit but am thinking of cancelling it because of the possible charge. Above all, I believe BT should not be allowed to get away with misleading its customers as I described.

What was the visit for, have you considered asking for help on this forum first?

0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

I agree. But as I explained in my post, the information given to customers when booking visits is not clear at all.

0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

No, I'd never considered it. The visit was for a problem we've had for many months, namely: when we're using broadband Internet and receive or make a phone call on our landline, the Internet connection is interrupted.

0 Ratings