cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 36

Re: When will BT stop misleading its customers?

Go to solution

P.S. I have now reported the matter to Ofcom. I hope they can do something about it.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 36

Go to solution
You're liable to be charged if the fault is anything in your house beyond the test socket. If you have an older socket with no test facility, Openreach are responsible up to that socket.

Extensions, phones, fax machines, sky boxes, alarm kits or anything else that is plugged in, and found to be the cause it chargeable.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 36

Go to solution

@PostTruth wrote:

By the way, I'm finding this "community forum" a little strange. Does it really consist only of BT customers? 

There are BT Employees as forum moderators here as well.

0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 36

Go to solution

Number 2 matches our master phone socket.

There is no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 36

Go to solution

@PostTruth wrote:

Thanks for your message, Distinguished Guru. I'm not talking about the link Keith posted. Please re-read my original post, which makes it very clear what misleading information I'm referring to.

What is the source of your quote in message 1?

0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 36

Go to solution

The first quote is a copied-and-pasted message sent by a BT "agent" on a webchat before arranging a visit. The second quote is a text I received from BT after arranging the visit.

(Glad to see someone is finally addressing my original question!)

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 36

Go to solution

If that text is the full extent of the information and no mention was made of internal wiring problems etc it would appear to be incomplete. Perhaps one of the mods will be able to comment.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 28 of 36

Go to solution

Hi @PostTruth,

The link @Keith_Beddoe mentioned should explain when and why you will be charged: Engineer charges

The main part of the page states "There may be a £129.99 charge if we send out an engineer to fix a fault or make an improvement, but it's free of charge if the problem is with our network outside the boundary of your premises."

It'd be best if we got in touch with the adviser who spoke with you over live chat. They missed about a vital part of the mandatory statement. I want to speak with them. This is what they should have stated:

"I can send an engineer. However, if the engineer finds the problem is with your home wiring, your equipment, or our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp, a charge of £129.99 will be applied to your BT bill.

You can get in touch with my team by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. It'll take us a couple of days to get back to you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
PostTruth
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 36

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply, Daniel. I'll give you the adviser's details if you can tell me whereabouts it says "contact the mods".

However, this is a much wider problem than one adviser getting it wrong. The full message he sent me is very revealing:

"this a mandatory statement that I have to mention to every Bt customer before sending the case to the engineers however it will only be applicable if the engineers has to visit your property and finds the fault :  I am sending the case to the engineer. There is no charge for us to fix this unless the engineer finds our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp. In these instances, a charge of £129.99 will be applied to your BT bill."

As you will notice, the introductory sentence contains errors (e.g. "Bt" instead of "BT", "the engineers has") whereas the statement itself, highlighted in bold, does not and was clearly pre-written and provided to all advisers to be sent out to all customers. The speed with which he sent it confirms this - it was obviously copied and pasted. The wording is therefore clearly BT policy, not just some rogue adviser who missed out a phrase.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 30 of 36

Go to solution

@PostTruth, the statement I gave you is the mandatory statement that is available to all employees. I've seen it countless times this week.

The mistakes look to be human error which makes me believe it's the individual at fault. We'll need to get in touch with the adviser and their Manager to prevent this from ever happening again. They look to have tailored the statement to suit themselves leaving out the important bit at the start.

"I can send an engineer. However, if the engineer finds the problem is with your home wiring, your equipment, or our network has been damaged within the boundary of your property by things like trees, building works, corrosion or damp, a charge of £129.99 will be applied to your BT bill.

Take a look at the below picture to see whereabouts you'll find our contact the mod section:

ContactTheMods.png

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings