cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tyler_Durden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

When will I see Ultrafast (160mb/300mb) speeds in my area?

I am after some information abut when these new Ultrafast speeds will be available in my area of Shrewsbury SY2.

Thanks

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: When will I see Ultrafast (160mb/300mb) speeds in my area?

There are some views about that here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 19

Hi All

FTTPoD is initially being rolled out to some exchanges. Here is a link I found about those exchanges.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/04/first-uk-telephone-exchanges-named-for-bt-fibre-on-dema...

I am on the Tunbridge Wells exchange. I'm currently on the Infinity service.

According to the broadband checker FTTPoD is available.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

checker.jpg

I regularly check my line on the BT "ultrafast infinity" page

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet

But as yet it is not orderable - or at the very least to start the ball rolling with an initial survey to get an idea of where my local node is and the cost of the "final length" to my house.

Please click the white star to the left of this post if you found this helpful.

ptan

0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

Hi All

Just an update on my enquiries with this. This is more out of interest than anything Smiley Indifferent

I rang the FTTP helpdesk on 0800 587 4787

I asked about FTTPoD but the op didn't know anything about it. I was put on hold whilst enquiries with colleagues were made. The op had to ask two different departments. Eventually the op came back and asked for my phone number and account number and at least confirmed that Tunbridge Wells was FTTPoD enabled.

I was then told that FTTPoD is currently only a Buisness offering. I mentioned that I had seen snippets of information about how it is installed using a fibre drop from the pole to the premises etc and all the photos in the literature were for residential installations. This the op was unaware of but said it is currently business only.

So, out of curiosity, I checked the Buisness section of BT.COM. Could only select the same kind of FTTC 80/20 as on Residential. Rang the business customer services and was told "Sorry, FTTPoD is not available."

Mods: Do you know what's going on with FTTPoD? At the moment it seems to be an offering from Openreach's sister company outofreach.co.uk

Many thanks

ptan

0 Ratings
silkbi
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

I would also like to enquire about this.

Most of my town (Milton Keynes, Bradwell exchange) is FTTC, and I'd like to know why we can't order FTTPoD on a house we are buying (it is 24mb FTTC). Since the fiber is already to the cab, then why can't we pay the 2 grand or so for the fiber to our house? Do BT not want our money? 🙂

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 6 of 19

Much of Bradwell Abbey is FTTP. It's the estates closer to the exchange which were in filled with FTTC.

0 Ratings
silkbi
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Having been house hunting for the past 6 months I can assure you that most areas on bradwell exchange are still FTTC. We only saw willen and corris court have FTTP - a grand total of 3 out of about 40 properties viewed had FTTP.

In either case one would hope the FTTP is still rolling out.. can only hope.. 🙂

Or, as per the thread, it would be nice to at least have the option to pay for it on demand.

0 Ratings
con_dorleone
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I phoned the 0800 587 4787 number last week as well, to ask about availability in the Gravesham (Kent) area.  Was told the exchange wasn't geared up for it, but it was a service they were offering to home users.  Didn't mention anything about business users only.  Wasn't told when the service would be being rolled out unfortunately.  So it's anyone's guess.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 9 of 19

Although Openreach have made FoD available to resellers none of the ISP's have yet taken it up.

0 Ratings
silkbi
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Why does it only have to be available to resellers? Missus and I have already agreed we'd save up 3 grand if that's what it took to get it.

0 Ratings