cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

When will we ever get Infinity???

I would just like to state for the record that I am current BT Business customer using option2, despite the competition BT still seems to offer the best broadband speed available in our area.

I moved to our current area in approx 1990 and the progress has gone from dial-up to just around 1.5/1.7Mb (present day)

In case anyone (including BT) are wondering what this area is called..Its called Finchampstead. (Maybe get a map out and just check we are there?)

Ive signed up to the email link "yes..Im interested" a number of times, and rather frustratingly, I received one of these blanket emails back recently saying "BT Infinity is here..the wait is over" - thinking that things might have changed, I went to check both house phone number and also checked the postcode and house number. The answer was dissapointingly obvious. It basically just condemns you to saying your only capable of getting the same substandard speed which is far behind the national average and way behind the global average..

Q.1 Anyone disagree that 1.5/1.7Mb is an acceptable speed considering the national average?

Q.2 When are these excuses going to stop about Infinity not being able to be deployed because of x,y,z and some measurable success be made?

Q.3 When is someone gonna put their money where their mouth is and give a proper date for the rollout?

Rgs- PL

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: When will we ever get Infinity???

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

If you are a business user, it would be better if you posted on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

As you may get a better idea of the rollout in your area.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks Keith..I do feel the post is equally relevant here, as It is the residentail area that desperately needs a technology upgrade.

The fact I am a business broadband customer just means I am mostly likely in the minority amongst other customers in the area. If I was a broadband customer in an an industrial area, I highly doubt that this would be the case as BT would know they would get their initial installation fees back from subscribing local businesses.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

By all means post on both forums, but its a very common question on this forum.

In reality, many business parks are already cabled for optical fibre, and its wired straight into the premises.

There are a number of existing technology's that are fibre based, and support speeds in excess of 140Mb in both directions.

Ethernet connections over fibre are also very popular.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Hi Keith, I appreciate your comments - but in reality this just reaffirms what I already know, and sadly our existing problem/situation remains. The answer to the solution I feel would be for a senior member of BT to a) do somehting about it or at the very least post some letters to the residents of the area stating what the hold up is and when the service will be available? an educated community might view things differently if they knew the reasons for any delay rather than being kept in the dark.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Just to add to my last post.

I have come across cases where Business users have a fibre connection to their own home, where they are near a fibre route.

These connections are classed as Megastream wideband, but come with large installation costs and monthly rental charges.

However, they are generally very reliable, unless the fibre gets damaged, in which case you would be entitled for a rebate.

It really depends on the size of your business. Many businesses have their own account manager, and they would be the first port of call for enquiries.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 11

Hi DarkAges77,

I think you maybe on the EVERSLEY exchange, this exchange is FTTC ready and is accepting orders however your street cabinet may have not been upgraded or your on a Exchange Only (EO) Line.

If you haven't already then please can you check your phone number by using the  BT Wholesale Database checker if it doesn't meantion anything about FTTC broadband for your number and/or address then it may be that your local Street Cabinet isn't currently on the Openreach Fibre Roll out plan or there is a delay in deploying FTTC to your street.

Can I also get you to enter your postcode into the Openreach Fibre broadband When and Where website ( http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ ). If you see a YELLOW PIN by your postcode then there is a delay in deploying FTTC broadband to your street/postcode.

As Keith has said you maybe best asking the BT Business team on the BT Business Forum as you currently have BT Buisness Broadband.

Please bear in mind that in some cases it may not be possible to provide FTTC broadband in areas due to: 

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

Unfortunately BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

The rollout of fibre broadband (FTTC or FTTP/H) is being planned, managed and done by Openreach for all communication provider/ISP. BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout and planning of fibre broadband.

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for the most upto date information as these are updated regularly.

The openreach When and Where website is: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Also look out for these FTTC Cabinets on/near your street/area. If you see one near your old cabinet then you maybe in luck for Fibre broadband.

fttc_cabinet_medium2 copy.jpg

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (your communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 11

Also for thoses who are in the Finchampstead area who do not have access to Fibre Broadband and have slow broadband speeds then you maybe interested in this link here: http://goo.gl/MNb8s

It has some useful links for information on getting faster broadband for thoses areas that have slow broadband speeds.

From the link you will probably tell that link you I also have a slow broadband connection, about 0.8mb to 1.4mb, so I know what it's like.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Q.1 Anyone disagree that 1.5/1.7Mb is an acceptable speed considering the national average?  There many with speeds lower the  the ones you quote 

Q.2 When are these excuses going to stop about Infinity not being able to be deployed because of x,y,z and some measurable success be made? they are not excuses they are facts lack of suitable power supplies refused planning permission blocked or collapsed cable ducts all delay the rollout 

Q.3 When is someone gonna put their money where their mouth is and give a proper date for the rollout? It is Openreach not BT Retail that are carrying out the rollout on behalf of all ISPs. All dates given are place holders An exchange goes live when the first 10 cabinet are activated

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Its actually quite common for Industrial Estates to be missed from FTTC roll out plans as it is not economically viable to upgrade the PCP.

Main reasons being are;

The majority of larger/medium sized companies have their own Private Data Circuits and changing/upgrading that to an FTTC Service would be to costly for them. After all, they only need it for sending info back and fourth from other offices and a few mbps is more than enough for that.

Your average PCP has about 400 to 500 live connections. In a residential area the majority of those will have ADSL already so there is the potential for each of those to get a FTTC service.

A PCP on an Industrial Estate will have about the same amount of connections, 400 to 500. Problem there is your average business probably has 8 to 10 lines with 1, maybe 2 of them being ADSL. Even if every ADSL line on that PCP was changed to a FTTC service you are still only talking maybe 60 or so. Therefore it wouldn't be financially viable for Openreach to install a RDSLAM there.

0 Ratings