Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 12

Where can FTTC come from

Hi,

As the title says, what are the places that the fibre to a fibre cabinet can come from please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Where can FTTC come from

not really sure what you are asking are you asking  who makes them?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 12

From the exchange to the cabinet
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 12

@john46 wrote:

not really sure what you are asking are you asking  who makes them?

Hi john46,

No, not who makes them.

Which places, as well as one's phone exchange, can the fibre that connects to the cabinet, for FTTC, come from please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

it is routed to every activated cabinet from the exchange and from the exchange to the core BT Network
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Hi john46,

So you are saying the fibre cable could come from any exchange then, not necessarily from the exchange from which the phone line comes from.  That would seem to agree with what an Openreach engineer told me.

That's great news as it means we don't have to wait for our phone exchange to be upgraded to fibre, it could come from any other fibre enabled exchange.

Many thanks

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

no you have mis understood from your local exchange to the cabinets however smaller exchanges may be linked together before connecting to the core network fibre will not come from another exchange to your local cabinet
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 12

Hi john46,

I think we are both misunderstanding each other, so to elaborate further.

I have an email from someone saying, quote "FTTC does not have to come from your local exchange - your Broadband Service is independent of your telephone number". 

Sorry, I don't know how to phrase my question to the forum any clearer :-

If FTTC does not have to come from your local exchange, where else can it come from please ?

This statement does tend to support what a group of engineers that were remaking lots of joints told me a couple of weeks ago, which was :-

BT won't bother to bring a fibre cable all the way from Kimbolton ( our "local" exhange that our phones are currently connected to ) they will just run a cable down from Perry ( an adjacent village that went live with FTTC on 9th January ) to Great Staughton ( where I live ). 

Edits at 13:31:-

Copying the map did not work.

The following link works but you need to zoom in the get a clearer view of the 3 villages mentioned :-

http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/getting-superfast/livecabinets/

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Ultimately FTTC has to connect back to an exchange. There may be a distribution point ie junction box, which could route it back to a different exchange from your telephone line but it will still go back to an exchange somewhere.

See this link 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.html

Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Hi gg30340,

Many thanks for your reply, I must have explained the query clearer.  So the person was right, that's good to know.

It also means that using one's phone number on the ADSL checker is not necessarily 100% accurate if one is connected to a different exchange from the phone line exchange. 

Although this is possible does it happen often or is it rare would you know ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings