cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Where can I get a decent router

Been with bt a year now and am loosing my patience I am on my third home hub had a 2a a 2b and a 3 off eBay have had issues with all of them my 2b keeps dropping wifi as does my 3 have an expensive (£100) netgear router tried that and it just causes crazy speed fluctuation and makes my bt vision unwatchable. Just bought a belkin n1 vision (as newer belkin reviews are dire) works spot on for wifi and speed is excellent however it drops the Internet and crashes/reboots a lot and am getting vo4 messages on bt vision my line speed is 11mb and vision is the only thing that worked perfect on my home hubs so not a line issue. I need a router that can handle lots of devices a fair amount of usage, good for streaming as I signed up for the onlive service with bts promo (btw the hh3 is awful for onlive) and just works. Does this router exist ? Would appreciate any help

Thanks in advance
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Where can I get a decent router

Hi have you tried connecting you devices by Ethernet instead of wireless ethernet is better for gaming and streaming activities

I use a HH 3 myself andhave no problems with onlive using Ethernet with it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Contact the mods, you can do that by following this link: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 and ask for a Home Hub 3 Type B , not Type A! Type B's are the beast, they will hold like a beaut for you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

I currently am using all my Ethernet sockets have my bt vision box, nas hard drive, onlive and tv connected with Ethernet, then have 2 iPads, 2 smart phones a mac a laptop and a printer wireless, with onlive on the hh3 I got poor picture quality and the image went blocky a lot, only router I've had this problem with thx for the suggestions will try the mods suggestion see if I can get a 3 b
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Hi that is a lot of devices how many are in use at once your problem may be your line speed is dropping very low caused by the devices all taking band width at once so making the connection unstable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

Following on from John's point, this diagram may be of use to you? http://bit.ly/ukwBFb

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Actually using the connection at once I would say either bt vision and 2 iPads or onlive and 1 iPad I would say is the most I would use at once. My bb speed isn't the issue like I said I have an 11mb line it's more the fact that the wireless seems to drop a lot on the home hubs and if I use a non bt home hub they never seem to work properly with the line
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

ok to explain more i have 15MB connection but if one of the pc's uses iplayer it slows down every other device as it takes the maximum bandwidth available to the network as to wireless you need to ensure you are on a clear wireless channel as any interference will cause problems and as more wireless is used things can only get worse due to the limited number of channels available
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I have checked the channel it's all ok and my belkin n1 I'm using ATM is great for everything however I get vo4 errors on bt vision and it drops the Internet and crashes once or twice a day just wish it didn't do that then it would be perfect, netgear wise that was crazy my connection was jumping between 2 and 9 mb/s without anything using it. I am very tech savvy and understand bandwidth and wifi channels etc it just seems if I use bt equipment it disconnects the wifi and if I use non bt stuff they struggle to maintain a stable line connection. It's very frustrating, have paid approx £200 for routers this year to try and get one that satisfys everything. Don't think the number of gadgets I have is excessive if you think about a family with kids and xboxes and phones iPads etc
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

vo 4 errors are caused by low download speed
0 Ratings