cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
A_mars_reject
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Where does BT's responsibility for the hardware end?

Is BT responsible for the line up to the Master socket, and anything from there onwards is my problem?

I'm just trying to understand how they determine whether I get charged this £127 fee. There is noise on my line, and house is fairly old, so if it turns out they need to replace the cabling from the junction box to the socket, would that incur the dreaded charge?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Somerled
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Where does BT's responsibility for the hardware end?

@A_mars_reject wrote:

Is BT responsible for the line up to the Master socket, and anything from there onwards is my problem?

I'm just trying to understand how they determine whether I get charged this £127 fee. There is noise on my line, and house is fairly old, so if it turns out they need to replace the cabling from the junction box to the socket, would that incur the dreaded charge?

Many thanks

Correct - BT owns everything up to and including the master socket.

If there is a reported "Noisy line" fault, and a replacement of  BT's wiring cures it, you should NOT be charged under any circumstance. It does happen sometimes, though. One would hope these are genuine mistakes on BT's part and not management malpractice.  A justified charge would be where the fault has been found to be in your apparatus or wiring (that is - on your side of the master socket). That's why you should always check from the test connector in the master socket - to eliminate any effect of your installation.

If you are charged, immediately dispute it - in writing. You will be refunded in full. (This has happened to me)

0 Ratings
rodmac51
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

I wouldn't bank on not being charged!

I've just had a repair done for a loss of service and was told if the fault was in my equipment I would be charged. However, it was an old frayed cable leading to my property but BT still charged me and have refused to refund it. They claim it was damaged by a tree so it was my responsibility but the engineer said it was because it was an old type of cable that hasn't been used for years. Either way, I don't see why I should pay to repair BT's infrastructure.

If a tree brings down an electric cable beyond my property, or a water main bursts, the utility company repairs it. BT is a major utility company with a monopoly on the infrastructure so they should repair it. I've written to them but not hopeful of a result!

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

@rodmac51 wrote:

I wouldn't bank on not being charged!

I've just had a repair done for a loss of service and was told if the fault was in my equipment I would be charged. However, it was an old frayed cable leading to my property but BT still charged me and have refused to refund it. They claim it was damaged by a tree so it was my responsibility but the engineer said it was because it was an old type of cable that hasn't been used for years. Either way, I don't see why I should pay to repair BT's infrastructure.

If a tree brings down an electric cable beyond my property, or a water main bursts, the utility company repairs it. BT is a major utility company with a monopoly on the infrastructure so they should repair it. I've written to them but not hopeful of a result!

If the tree was within the boundary of your property or some other item which was your responsibility say chimney pot fell and severed wires then you could be charged for the repair

If it was fair wear and tear then its BT,s problem

If you severed a pipe or power cable within the boundary you would probably be charged by the Utility Co

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings