cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Where's the loyalty discount?

Been a BT customer for several years, current contract about to expire, so I called up the Retentions team to see what deals I could get. My exchange has just been Infinity-enabled, so I wanted to upgrade to that.

I wanted to take Infinity 2 with TV Entertainment.

The offer I was given (and this was *after* the 'let me see what *extra* discount I can get you for being a loyal customer sir') was an 18 month contract with about £1.50 off for 12 months.

In the final 6 months of the contract, I would be paying *more* than a new customer - plus a new customer gets an £8 per month discount for 3 months and a new YouView box. I was only offered a Home Hub 5 and told I had to keep my old (failing) DTR-T1000 YouView box.

Can anyone tell me if that's standard these days? In the past, BT have always been able to drop down to one of a few different price levels, depending on how many other operators there are in your area, how hard you push, etc. On ADSL, I was paying about half what a new customer would pay for my broadband.

At the moment, I may as well look elsewhere because I'm not paying the same, if not more, than a new customer after being loyal to BT for several years.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
StewM
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Where's the loyalty discount?

Hi, it seems BT doesn't reward loyalty any more. other customers have had the same experience.

And this is from the website - Unlimited BT Infinity 2

New customers £20 pm for 3 months then £26 pm here

Existing customers upgradeing £28 pm here

Stew

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

There is no such thing as "loyal customers", there are only customers.  BT and many other companies offer incentives to attract new customers. They do not need to offer any great incentives to keep customers because the vast majority of people do not shop around or can not be bothered with the hassle of moving.

Those that do move are replaced by customers from other ISPs who have become dissatisfied just as you have. You will get your "incentive" from the new ISP if you move and the dissatisfied customer from your new ISP who moves to BT will get their "incentive" and so it goes.

Come next year a few customers will do it all again but some of the "new" customers will just accept what they are being offered and not bother with the hassle of moving again. So why should companies bother giving any great incentives to customers who stay, it doesn't make financial sense or they would. 

Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

You need to be a disloyal customer.  Ask for a MAC code and tell them you want to leave because their prices are too high.  Then wait for BT to contact you and ask you to reconsider.  That's when you can ask for a bigger discount.

voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Thanks to all for the replies. I get the feeling it's not as easy to get a reduction as it used to be - and what with prices going up again before the end of the year, it's only going to get even more expensive.

@Ectophile - I did consider asking for a MAC code to see if that would 'unlock' a better deal, but I thought I might try calling again tomorrow and trying somebody else first. As others have said, it seems to be pot luck as to what you get offered depending on who you speak to.

Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

I ended up going the MAC code route back in March.  Prior to that, all thay they would offer was to switch me to a newer package (which would have been cheaper, but represented no discount over what I could have had anyway).

I got a text from BT a couple of days later.  When I phoned up, they offered a discount.

Asking for a MAC code doesn't actually commit you to leave.  But if you are not really prepared to go elsewhere, then they have no incentive to offer a discount.

0 Ratings
voice_of_reason
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm not too hopeful that I'll get much more of a discount to be honest, but it's worth a try. I've had no real trouble with BT, the service has been good and I don't really want to switch to another provider, so I can see myself sticking with BT.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@voice_of_reason wrote:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm not too hopeful that I'll get much more of a discount to be honest, but it's worth a try. I've had no real trouble with BT, the service has been good and I don't really want to switch to another provider, so I can see myself sticking with BT.

Which backs up what I said, they do not need to offer incentives to keep customers. They only need to do it to get new ones.