cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Wheres my website gone?

Hi, I am a BT customer and as such when I joined BT for Internet access I got a free web site facility.  So, I setup a simple web site with just one page to advertise my driving instructor business.  I have just moved house so I need to change the phone number on it.  Its been a while since I have had to edit the site but now I find all links to the facility seem to have disappeared.  How do I edit the thing?  I contacted BT via the online chat facility and they said I would need to speak to their Tech Support people.  That is a subscription service!

Does anyone know how I access this now.

Thanks, Ray

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Wheres my website gone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

@rayleask wrote:

Hi, I am a BT customer and as such when I joined BT for Internet access I got a free web site facility.  So, I setup a simple web site with just one page to advertise my driving instructor business.  I have just moved house so I need to change the phone number on it.  Its been a while since I have had to edit the site but now I find all links to the facility seem to have disappeared.  How do I edit the thing?  I contacted BT via the online chat facility and they said I would need to speak to their Tech Support people.  That is a subscription service!

Thanks, Ray

Can you still see the website using a browser? 

As I recall, BT provided 2 types of free websites in times past; they have closed both services. From your post, I am guessing that your site was on the BT server. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that service closed - from memory - a couple of years ago. We were told at the time that everything on the websites would be lost.I certainly haven't been able to FTP to or, indeed see, my site since then.

The other service (which might have been on Yahoo) closed even longer ago.

Michael
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

There were two web space services at various times.  Many years ago, BT offered proper web space to its customers.  They stopped advertising that years ago, and that is the service that was switched off in 2012.

They also offered a a Geocities site through their tie-up with Yahoo.  That was a bit rubbish as it had compulsory adverts, and was free to everybody anyway, so BT customers got nothing extra.  Yahoo decided that Geocities wasn't making any money and shut down that as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks to everyone who replied so promptly.  At least thats that problem explained.  Now another site?

Thanks, Ray

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@rayleask wrote:

Thanks, Ray

Hi Ray.

As others have explained, the webspace for BTinternet has closed - actually on 31-Oct 2012.

You should have received (months earlier) service emails to the website controlling email address, or primary, saying so. You may have considered them as spam ...

Depending on the website info, you may like to look at www.btck.co.uk

Have a look at it to see if it suits your needs (it's free with restrictions for use), and look at the T&Cs. It's an online system that you have to use (though you can upload your own html to a certain extent).

0 Ratings