Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Which modem / which cabinet

Go to solution

My phone line comes it at the back of the house and my Homehub 5 doesn't provide decent coverage from there. I'd also like to use OpenDNS and it seems that the HH5 doesn't allow that either. Looking at the forums it seems my best bet so to get an Openreach modem from an auction site and connect via eithernet to a router somewhere with better coverage.

So my question is which model modem - looking at the forums the suggestion is to get one with the same chipset as my cabinet - but how do I find out what that is? Any other suggestions about buying a modem? Is it as simple as just plugging it in?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Which modem / which cabinet

Go to solution

which exchange and cabinet are you on?

most prefer the hg612 modem to the ECI - either modem is plug and play

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

How do I find out which exchange and whaich cabinet? I know that the exchage is Ealing but not the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

An HG612 won't perform any worse on an ECI cabinet than an ECI modem, however an ECI modem will perform worse than an HG612 on a Huawei cabinet. Hence HG612 is preferable.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@gobuddy wrote:

How do I find out which exchange and whaich cabinet? I know that the exchage is Ealing but not the cabinet.

All Ealing cabs are Huawei anyway

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks. Off to bid on a modem...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Don't pay silly money for an unlocked one, they are extremely simple to unlock (to provide extended stats) if you wish to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I have both types after ray_dorset pointed me in the right direction on matching modems to cabinets.

The ECI is maybe slightly quicker in speed than the HG612 3B on my line but its only a meg or so here or there.

HG612 3B is easier to use though.

The HG612 is runnung at the moment for the festive lights season but I'll be switching back to the ECI in a few weeks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@Barry57 wrote:

I have both types.

The ECI is maybe slightly quicker in speed than the HG612 3B on my line but its on a meg or so here or there.

HG612 3B is easier to use though.

Presumably on an ECI cabinet though. I doubt an ECI will be quicker on a Huawei cabinet due to lack of G.Inp unless you have a very good line of course.

0 Ratings