cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Which router do I need to buy to connect to Smart Hub 2 from Summer House

I have a Smart Hub 2 in my house and I want to connect to it from a summer house at the end of the garden. I understand to do this I should use an ethernet cable and put a new/additional router in the summer house that will connect to this ethernet cable. I also read that I will have to disable the DHCP server on the summer house router and give it an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub. (If any of that is incorrect please let me know!)

My question is: which router do I need to get for the summer house? Looking on Amazon there are loads and I'm not sure which one I need to buy so it works with the Smart Hub 2. Some of them say they are for cable modems which I *think* is not the correct kind to buy for this situation.

If you could shed any light on which router I should purchase I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Which router do I need to buy to connect to Smart Hub 2 from Summer House

No, you don't need another router. People re-purpose an old router if they have one lying around but if you don't already have one you just need a wireless access point.

As to which to buy, that depends on your requirements.

Message 3 of 10

@packetSniffer 

You certainly don't necessarily  need a router.

Do you need wifi down there or will devices be connected by ethernet?

If ethernet & you're running cable down there then you only need a 5 or 8 port hub/switch.

If you just need wifi then something like a TP-Link TL-WA901N would likely be suitable (£20).

If you need both then the above TP-Link and a switch would suffice.

But it really depends exactly how you want to use it all.

Message 4 of 10

Hi Tim, thanks for responding. I will be connecting a couple of devices down there with ethernet (wife's work computer and TV). Also, I'd like WIFI to be available down there.

It sounds like "TP-Link and a switch" are 2 separate devices...is there a single device I could buy that could work for both ethernet connections and WIFI? If so what would I search for on Amazon? Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Whilst not a particular fan of Netgear, this will fill the bill.

Netgear Wireless Access Point (WAC124) | Dual Band WiFi AC2000 | 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports + 1 x USB Port

on offer at £55 at Amazon (forum rules forbid posting a link)

or the WAC 104 at £43

Message 6 of 10

The WAC 104 (Netgear Wireless Access Point WAC104 | Dual Band WiFi AC1200) does not appear to have the yellow "Internet" port on the back like the WAC124. I guess this means it is not suitable for the situation I described as there is nowhere to plug in the ethernet cable from the Smart Hub 2...correct?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Incorrect. The WAC124 can also be configured as a router, hence the Internet (WAN) port. If you just need a WAP with a 4 port switch, you connect one of the HUB's LAN ports to one of the WAP's LAN ports.

Message 8 of 10

wac104.jpg

Message 9 of 10

Thank you very much, that helps.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Post back if you have any trouble setting it up.