cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cw-kid
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Which splitter for Analog modem and BT VDSL modem ?

Go to solution

Hello

I would like to add an external USB Fax modem to my Server PC so I can setup Caller Display (CallerID) on my home theatre computers.

I currently have the BT Infinity master socket in my living room, a CAT5 extension cable was then used under the floor, to add a second BT socket in to the cupboard under the stairs where the VDSL modem and BT Home Hub are located. The BT engineer wired up this extension when they did the installation.

I would now like to somehow split the BT socket under the stairs so it goes to the VDSL modem and also goes to the new external fax modem. What type of splitter do I require ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Which splitter for Analog modem and BT VDSL modem ?

Go to solution

What socket type was the new one the engineer installed? Im guessing it wasnt a bt plug socket. If its not a bt plug socket then you cannot plug anything other than the infinity modem into it and would have to run a new wire from the master socket to plug your fax modem into.

0 Ratings
cw-kid
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hello

Many thanks for the quick reply!

I'm not totally sure to be honest, the extension socket fitted under the stairs I think was supplied by the BT engineer and I think it looks like this one. I am not at home at the moment will double check which type it is when I get back.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

If it is that type then you would have a filter plugged in?

It may be one like this

0 Ratings
cw-kid
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
No filters plugged in to either master socket or extension socket, I was told you didnt need them for BT Infinity or that the filters are all inbuilt to the master socket or something.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Thats right, in a good setup no extra filters are required. Im guessing you have a socket like the one in my reply. In which case you wouldnt be able to plug anything other than infinity into it without messing things up. Depending on how its been wired at the master socket end you may be able to use the spare pair in the cable to make a phone socket. Its quite easy to do if you have a little know how and are confident enough.

0 Ratings
cw-kid
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

I will upload a photo of the actual socket fitted when I get home.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
IceZaroth
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Normally any extension from the master is a data only extension not like putting in a standard phone extension.

it used to be phone master then phone extension but once you get infinity they normally change it too Master and extention is a data only affare

0 Ratings
cw-kid
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

"Thats right, in a good setup no extra filters are required. Im guessing you have a socket like the one in my reply. In which case you wouldnt be able to plug anything other than infinity into it without messing things up. Depending on how its been wired at the master socket end you may be able to use the spare pair in the cable to make a phone socket. Its quite easy to do if you have a little know how and are confident enough."

I think it might be like the socket your photo shows! Will double check.

So how many cables inside of the CAT5 would he have used for the extension socket? 4 ?

I know how to wire / terminate CAT5/CAT6 sockets. Can probably add another BT socket using the other spare pairs? If I know what wires go where.

Thanks

0 Ratings
cw-kid
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

"Normally any extension from the master is a data only extension not like putting in a standard phone extension." I seem to recall the engineer saying that the socket was for data only, as I probably asked him at the time about adding a modem.

So it sounds like I need to add a second socket for analog / phone.

0 Ratings