cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 14

Re: Which splitter for Analog modem and BT VDSL modem ?

Go to solution

The newer CAT5 the engineers carry is two pair. The older stuff was 3 or 4 pair. The phone only requires one pair so it just requires terminating onto the frontplate of the master socket and into the phone extension on the other end next to the data socket.

0 Ratings
cw-kid
Beginner
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

"The newer CAT5 the engineers carry is two pair. The older stuff was 3 or 4 pair. The phone only requires one pair so it just requires terminating onto the frontplate of the master socket and into the phone extension on the other end next to the data socket."

The long CAT5e cable under the living room floor was a cable I put in place so I could have the BT modem in the cupboard under the stairs therefore it has 4 pairs / 8 wires.

BT Master Socket (Living Room) with 3" CAT5 cable connecting to small joiner box pictured right of the master socket, this then connects to my long CAT5e cable (behind skirting board) under the floor.

DSCN0439.JPG

BT Infinity Data socket (Cupboard under stairs) This connects to the other end of my long CAT5e cable. This socket has a RJ11 cable that goes to VDSL modem.

DSCN0442.JPG

So I just need to do this: "The phone only requires one pair so it just requires terminating onto the frontplate of the master socket and into the phone extension on the other end next to the data socket"

Will it be obvious when I take off the master socket face plate where I punch down the two cables to add a phone socket extension?

And I just need a regular phone socket like this one?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

Its not hard. The pair you chose must be connected to terminals 2 and 5 on the frontplate where your existing phone is connected (the bottom half of the socket). The small socket pictured will be the right sort to buy.

cw-kid
Beginner
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you !!! I have installed the new analog phone socket in to the cupboard and I have a dial tone! Just waiting for my new USB Modem to arrive and I can setup Caller ID on my Media Center system.

Thanks again for your advise. 

Regards. 

0 Ratings