cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danoid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Whiteley Fibre

Moving into a house soon, so don't have a telephone number, so cannot do checks.

I found out that Whiteley exchange has recently been upgraded and says "Accepting Orders", I found out the cabinet is 102 and look next door https://local.google.co.uk/?ll=50.882879,-1.263288&spn=0.000014,0.009602&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=50.88...

Postcode is PO15 7DQ

There is a new infinity cabinet, but silent inside.

I then noticed when the Google images picture was taken and it's 1 year ago!

When checking BT Wholesale with postcode only (as I do not live in the house) it doesn't even mention about a fibre date, so whats the point of the infinity cabinet being there?

I heard on the news that BT this morning is basically a monopoly with all the government grants and not delivering the goods, and this is certainly the case in Whiteley, as there isn't really any fast broadband.

They say the Exchange is accepting orders, but from who if no one can get it!! Seems a farce to me.

With the normal Broadband checkers, it says I can get 5-8MB, however many people in Whiteley say they get 512-1mb, so don't want to pay for X and get -X.

Whiteley is not really that old a place but seems to be forgotten.  I sent an email to NGA and guess what? Nada, nilch, nout of a reply

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Whiteley Fibre

Whiteley never had a proper copper infrastructure installed, as phone lines were provided using TPON (Telephony Over Passive Optical Network), which is now obsolete.

This made broadband provision virtually impossible until the new exchange was installed.

The area is now playing catch-up, so I would expect progress to be slow.

Optical connection were originally installed, but these were for the Business Park.

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Cab 102 certainly appears to be fibre enabled as the checker says it has Fibre Multicast available, but the postcode you give indicates only a fixed 1Mb connection is available.

How long ago did you email NGA?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Danoid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I emailed NGA about 2 weeks ago, but was of the understanding it only takes a few days.

When checking the cabinet online , shouldn't it say the speeds, as it just says 1mb fixed?  Who is ever going to pay £30 a month for 1MB is beyond me.

When I check on bt website for "Can I get infinity" it just says "sorry, there's been a problem" been like that for a month now.

Shouldn't the cabinet be making a hum noise from the fans inside? It's got incredibly good fans otherwise as it's silent.

Also shouldn't the BT wholesale say the speeds for the cabinet and say FTTC or something like that?

Not sure what Fibre Multicast is?

Thanks

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

Are you sure you emailed the correct address?

If it was enabled for fibre for your phone line, it would say the speeds available

The fans may only come on if it gets too hot

Fibre Multicast is so BT TV transmission works

I'd email them again...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Danoid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Hello me again.I emailed Openreach and this is the reply...

"After checking our systems it says that Whiteley cabinet 102 has already been
enabled but you will need to order an exchange line from your service provider
first then send us a reply with your new telephone number so we can then go ahead
and activate it for you."

The problem is no company is offering fibre to order, when going on the BT website and put in my details it just says "sorry, theres been a problem, this may be a temporary fault"

Well, surely temporary is not 5-6 months.

When I spoke to someone at BT, they said they are not legally allowed to speak to BT Openreach and I need to contact my MP!!!! (what the....)

It just seems like BT Openreach needs to say "BT, shut up, cabinet 102, is fibre ready, take orders", but it just isn't.

What options do I have left? I'm thinking Watchdog soon, but will need to spend my time getting a case together

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

I suspect you were told to contact your CP (comms provider) not MP.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings