cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14

Who are BT Openreach actually accountable to?

2 months late with 2 appointment 'no shows' with no explanation, no apology, we FINALLY get our landline. We have no way of complaining to BT 'Out of Reach' directly, and have to go via service provider. How can BT Openreach (who have a monopoly on installations) get away with this?
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Who are BT Openreach actually accountable to?

Because they have a monopoly.

If there was competition they would soon get their finger out of their **bleep**.

[edit] I think you know what I meanSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

Not only are they a monopoly, but they don't talk to consumers.

Their customers are the retail broadband and telephone companies, who can't do much as they cannot switch to a different supplier.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

It is actually just called Openreach, not BT Openreach and they are accountable to OFCOM and all of their customers, i.e. Sky, TALK TALK, Orange, Virgin Media, BT Retail, etc. If you have had a missed appointment and want to make a complaint about it then you need to raise it with your service provider who in turn will raise it with Openreach.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

@plainview wrote:

It is actually just called Openreach, not BT Openreach and they are accountable to OFCOM and all of their customers, i.e. Sky, TALK TALK, Orange, Virgin Media, BT Retail, etc. If you have had a missed appointment and want to make a complaint about it then you need to raise it with your service provider who in turn will raise it with Openreach.

But OFCOM are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, and most of the retail companies have outsourced their customer support overseas, so they aren't going to be much use in chasing up Openreach.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

I think its terrible that open reach are  not accountable to anyone including ofcom. For finacial services we have the finacial obusman to keep bank in line well kinda and open reach do not have to answer to anyone really. I wanted to make a complaint about my installation a couple days ago long story but basically engineers done a shocking job and disconnected my broadband on purpose to fix my phone knowing full well my broadband wouldnt work and only for me to discover. I telephoned bt wish was not much use and was thinking of just raising the issue with ofcom but now think ill just leave it as  they did resolve the problem engineer was out for 5 hours tho!! so the others guys must of screwed it up big time and he couldnt believe the work man ship eiether we had a laugh about it tho.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

You can always contact them here http://www.openreach.com/orpg/home/contactus/tellussomething/tellussomethingaboutourpeople/tellabout... and tell them something that they've done wrong, and they should get back to you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 14

OpenReach are practically accountable to no one. The Office of the Ombudsman advised me they would only deal with complaints about my service provider ie BT Retail. they also advised me to contact Ofcom which I have have done but do not expect results. Why? because I have no contract with OpenReach. My contract is with BT Retail and it is only thro them that I can try and put pressure on OpenReach ergo OpenReach become unaccountable. I have written to my MP who has passed my issue on to BT ad that is probably the best way to change the unaccountable nature of the beast. 

Openreach say they have a complaints system but it is only about their employees and had no facility for complaints about BT OpenReaches organisation, moreover it is only available on the web! So tough luck webless granny et al. BT Retails complaints system is written only, snailmail (post) no email text or TELEPHONES!!! So that is what you are up against and how they BT maintain their unaccountability.

Don't spend hours going round the BT complaints loop, just contact your local MP and hope he has some clout.

Good Luck you will need it!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 14

If people actually stood up to BT and Openreach they might get somewhere. The relationship between BT and Openreach is a curious one, regulatory complexities aside BT is happy to disassociate itself from OR when convenient but wants to work as if they were the same company on many other occasions.

Openreach's philosophy, probably even more than BT's is that customers are beneath contempt. What particularly galls me is the idea that it will only give am/pm slots for engineers to visits. This is disgraceful and no company wthout a monopoly would dream of doing so. It should give customers precise times and warn, as is obvious anyway, that engineers do get delayed intraffic and with jobs over running.

Do not accept such slots. Insist on a precise time. Contact, as I did, OR's CEO, probably a very nice woman in the remainder of her life and presumably exceptionally bright to have got to such a position in the macho world of telecom engineering, but was floundering all over the place in a way that did nothing to reubt my feelings she runs the business utterly cynically. Tell her when you expect an engineer to call. Tellher you expect her to sort the appointment out, or at least get someone to confirm a precise time.

So long as customers meekly refer to call centres or even "executive level" customer care assistants BT and OR will continue to get away with it. Put pressure on those who make the decisions, not the poor, uninterested underpaid call centre workers and things might get done.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14
Moved:

0 Ratings