cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Who can explain this? No Solution required!

I had like to see the explanation for the following. Personallyl, I am hoping that the Line Managment 'DLM' will realize that my line is capable of more than 77.43 and raise it to 79+. I hate it when people tell me the maximum you can get on your line is the 96% of the syncing speed e.t.c. If you have any insight on this, I would really appreciate that.

Thank you.

If you can't look at the picture below in full resolution then please click here: http://i4.minus.com/i6GJAeU2YW5oP.png

Here is a real life download speed test whilst using Netherland's proxy servers from London. As you can see that not only the file is being download but Onlive is starting up at the same time. 9.947 MB/sec is equal to 79.576MB download speed. 

If you can't look at the picture below in full resolution then please click here: 

http://i4.minus.com/iYq6xXcQLF6F0.png

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: Who can explain this? No Solution required!

What sync speed is reported by your modem?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

@ray_dorset wrote:
What sync speed is reported by your modem?

how do I check that right now?

When the engineer was last here the machine he had said something around 79,000 kbps for throughput and 65,000 kbps for syncing. I reported the issue here and after a few days, the DLM changed my profile from 65 to 77.43. Still, that doesn't answer how this works or is possible.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 24

Depends on which modem you're using
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

@ray_dorset wrote:
Depends on which modem you're using

which one am I using? 

or which one should I be using?

Using HG612 and written in bold '3B'. Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 24

What I'm asking is what is your sync speed. The way to find that out depends on which modem you're using as every modem has its own way of giving you that info.

For the HG612 you have to upgrade the firmware to an unlocked version so you can see the sync speed.

Unfortunately, doing that will invalidate the warranty.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 24

"I had like to see the explanation for the following. Personallyl, I am hoping that the Line Managment 'DLM' will realize that my line is capable of more than 77.43 and raise it to 79+. I hate it when people tell me the maximum you can get on your line is the 96% of the syncing speed e.t.c. If you have any insight on this, I would really appreciate that."

You will never achieve a greater speed than the 77.43 mb IP profile as that is the maximum speed whether you like the answer or not you will never get more than 96% of the sync speed 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

@john46 wrote:

"I had like to see the explanation for the following. Personallyl, I am hoping that the Line Managment 'DLM' will realize that my line is capable of more than 77.43 and raise it to 79+. I hate it when people tell me the maximum you can get on your line is the 96% of the syncing speed e.t.c. If you have any insight on this, I would really appreciate that."

You will never achieve a greater speed than the 77.43 mb IP profile as that is the maximum speed whether you like the answer or not you will never get more than 96% of the sync speed 

so, does that mean it does not have any effect on what my actual download speed is?

I just did another speed test and the result was 78.7?

Your wording doesn't explain how I can download at a faster speed then what I am limited too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

It can only be explained by knowing what your sync speed is. But that info is locked in the modem, so you have to guess what it is. The best guess is to get your IP profile and multiply it by 1.033.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

speed tests are affected by general internet traffic therefore errors can occur
0 Ratings