cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Who can touch BT wiring?

I have a problem in that my phone line comes in through my window frame, and I want to put new windows in.

Not sure if I should even be asking here, as my broadband and line rental are with Sky, but I assumed it would be BT Openreach who would do any work on my line.

Sky say no, that since there is no current fault, BT Openreach won't touch my line (I asked them to move the line so that it's going through the wall).

They said I should either contact an independent telecomms engineer and get them to do the work, or let the window fitters break the line, and then Openreach will come out and fix it.

I don't think this is right, I thought Openreach could be enagaged to do non-essential work for a fee?

Who is right here? I didn't think non Openreach engineers were allowed to touch this.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Who can touch BT wiring?

Hi

You would have to contact your line provider who would then request openreach to shift the wire for you, there would obviously be a charge to do this.

You cannot touch/move/shifht any openreach wiring that is prior to the main telephone socket.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

It is Skys responsibility to, arrange an Openreach visit no one here is able to assist you as there is no customer link with Openreach
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

Well, that's what I thought, but Sky are saying they can't arrange this as there is no fault.

I'm wondering if I should just try again, and get someone different, although the advisor did put me on hold to go and check with someone else.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

yes it is down to sky to arrange
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

If Sky continue to be difficult refer them here, which makes it quite clear.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.