cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Who does a SNR Reset?

Go to solution

A BT engineer has fixed a fault on my phone line. TalkTalk are my Broadband provider. The engineer asked me to phone TalkTalk and ask for an SNR Reset / Take the 'Cap Off'. TalkTalk say that is for BT to do and BT say that is TalkTalk's job. Can someone suggets the way forward?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Who does a SNR Reset?

Go to solution

@rgriffithkwrote:

A BT engineer has fixed a fault on my phone line. TalkTalk are my Broadband provider. The engineer asked me to phone TalkTalk and ask for an SNR Reset / Take the 'Cap Off'. TalkTalk say that is for BT to do and BT say that is TalkTalk's job. Can someone suggets the way forward?

Hi @rgriffithk. If you are with TalkTalk then it has absolutely nothing to do with BT. They probably mean Openreach which is now independent of BT and treats all ISPs the same like Sky, TalkTalk, BT etc. I would try the TalkTalk community which are excellent at providing solutions. I would tell them the Openreach engineer asked you. 

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks. I will contact Openreach

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Openreach don't deal with the public so you will get more help from Talk Talk or probably their forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @rgriffithk,

I wanted to give you an idea of what we do as ideally it should be the same with your current provider.

If we've sent an engineer from Openreach to fix a fault with your line, then they wouldn't be resetting your profile. They are there solely for the line side of things. If your ISP have the same processes as us, then they should either send an engineer out specifically tasked for broadband or else they should be changing the DLM from their side.

Hope you find the help you are looking for.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
If he’s with TALKTALK then he’ll be on their LLU Network as TALKTALK don’t rent WLR3 Services.

Unlike BT Wholesale, TALKTALK do not give Openreach Engineers access to their Local Loop Network so they can not do an SNR Reset on TALKTALK ADSL Lines.

Obviously Openreach can do DLM Resets on VDSL though as they own the DSLAM.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

It may be related to AOl,  our original provider,  being taken over by TalkTalk. BT stated that it was not their responsibility and Talk Talk also totally deny any responsibility.  OpenReach cannot be meaningfully contacted directly. My only option seems to be waiting for the line to reset automatically after 10 days or so. I seem to have come across a grey area. Ironic that the phone works well now and yet broadband sits at around 0.4Mbps for now.  Leaving one of the companies involved seems to be the only solution for future smooth running of our media links.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
If it’s VDSL you have then only Openreach can do a DLM Reset.

I know Openreach are trialling where CP’s can request a DLM without an Engineers visit but I don’t know if TALKTALK are participating in the Trial.

Other than that it would be a case of letting the DLM do its things.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@Starwire2000wrote:
If it’s VDSL you have then only Openreach can do a DLM Reset.

I know Openreach are trialling where CP’s can request a DLM without an Engineers visit but I don’t know if TALKTALK are participating in the Trial.

Other than that it would be a case of letting the DLM do its things.

Hi @Starwire2000. Before I moved to BT in July TalkTalk had been instigating immediate DLM requests for several months. I was surprised that BT were so far behind when I joined. Once when I tried a third party Modem/Router I upset my speed to 10% of the norm. A simple request on the TalkTalk community instigated a DLM reset immediately. 

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution
Thank-you for your help. I joined the TalkTalk Community to no avail.
0 Ratings