cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Who is Keith Beddoe?

He says he is "just a customer trying to help".

He joined the forum on 27/1/10 and has posted 13,622 times since then.

His first post today was at 7h 02 and he is still going strong at this moment.

He did have an hour off for his tea between 17.00 and 18.00

True altruism

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Who is Keith Beddoe?

I am a BT Pensioner, having worked for the company for nearly 42 years, and have a good insight as to what goes on in most parts of the business. My background is mainly of a technical nature, having been involved with many different technologies since the early days of the dial telephone and the GPO.

This forum has been established for many years, and consists of people from many different backgrounds, but we are all BT customers, trying to help other customers, with the backup of the BT Care Team, without whose support, this forum would not exist.

There are a number of CL (Community Leaders) who assist the forum moderators manage the postings here. We are all unpaid volunteers.

I use my own special scripts to automatically monitor these forums, while I do other jobs in my computer and electronics workroom. So I am not always watching the screen, but my main network server is.

And no, this is not my computer answering your question Smiley Wink

If something pops up that may be of interest, I get an alert message, however all messages are stored locally for up to 28 days.

I also run a small private webserver which has a few help pages, to answer many of the more common questions.

Does that answer your question?

P.S. 

John46 has posted  Posted 26,650 times, and he does not work for BT.

imjolly has posted 21,873 times, and he does not work for BT

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 22

And many customers have benefitted from their knowledgeSmiley Happy So thank you all.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 22

There's a wealth of knowledge and experience among the gurus, and it's helping us all on a person to person basis.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 22

I have heard it all now, BT staffed by volunteer employees who are in retirement. Is that reasonable when you consider how many people are out of work at the moment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 22

@WatchdogTS wrote:

I have heard it all now, BT staffed by volunteer employees who are in retirement. Is that reasonable when you consider how many people are out of work at the moment.

What the heck has it got to do with any of us if Keith wants to help out?

He does it because he wants to, not because he has to!

and what's the relevance about these forums or Keith, if people are out if work?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

I did not volunteer, I was a regular contributor when I was an employee, so I saw no reason why I should not continue, considering that the company provided me with  knowledge, experience and employment for neary 42 years, and enabled my to support my wife and family.

Its called company loyalty, something that is lacking these days. Despite what is often written on these forums, BT was a good company to work for, and is much improved since the days of the GPO, when I joined in 1968, straight from school.

These forums survive as a means of sharing knowledge between users, as do other forums like the many DIY ones, whose many contibutors include working and retired tradespeople.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 22

@WatchdogTS wrote:

What has Keith helping out got to do with people being out of work???

He is helping BT customers sort issues out with his wealth of experience.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 22

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest, maybe its just me being cynical but I think it is odd that a volunteer is running a server for BT, a job you would expect a paid employee to do.

I think this could also explain why some customers are experiencing diabolical levels of customer service, no real staff with access to engineers and billing etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

@WatchdogTS wrote:

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest, maybe its just me being cynical but I think it is odd that a volunteer is running a server for BT, a job you would expect a paid employee to do.

My "server" is an old slow Novatech laptop, which I am using when I type this, it handles the RSS feeds from this forum, plus a few other background tasks.

My "web server" is an Asus eeePC 701 netbook, not exactly leading edge Smiley Wink

Both are my own property, and nothing at all to do with BT, especially my website, which is hosted by me.

BT have their own servers for this forum, run by Lithium, who host the Business forums.

Plus thousands of others all over the world.

I am sorry if you cannot grasp the idea. You are not stirring anything up, the Lounge area is for getting to know people, what they do, and general discussion.

0 Ratings