cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coco777
Beginner
Message 11 of 28

Re: Who is responsible for fault in underground cable between Green box and my home ?

My property is supplied via overhead cable, but the section between the green box and the overhead pole outside my house is probably in ducting pipe, and approx 100 metres long, I would of thought that it should'nt need to have the tarmac path dug up. The engineer who told me about the fault said he had more or less pinpointed it, and I even remember him saying he was going to mark it out if he was called out again, but I have always had other engineers come every time i get them out since.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 28

Re: Who is responsible for fault in underground cable between Green box and my home ?

Ok so if it is the junction between the distribution box and the cabinet log another fault
The issue is affecting all the customers on the same box. I would contact them and see if you can collectively chase open reach
The matter will be more complicated if you are all on different providers but if everybody logs a fault open reach will have to deal with it
0 Ratings
coco777
Beginner
Message 13 of 28

Thanks very much for your help.

I will get back on to live chat tomoorw.

I did have an engineer booked for this Tuesday.

But BT text me to yesterday......"we have checked your broadband and now it is working correctly, we have cancelled the engineer booking"

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 28

@Interceptor121 wrote:

"Insert phone line and post code and see whats the minimum guaranteed
If you are getting less open a fault and insist they dig and fix it. If you ate getting same or more nothing possible am afraid"

You are giving people incorrect information. The guaranteed minimum speed determines whether you are ultimately allowed to cancel the contract early without penalty. Being above it does not stop BT requesting an Openreach engineer visit if deemed necessary as Keith suggested earlier.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 28

the difference is that if you fall below they must fix it
If you don't it is discretionary.
Discretionary doesn't work always and he just got the order cancelled probably because the speed is above the minimum
Once thing is to have a right the other one is to have a hope
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 28

Yes, but you have suggested a couple of times that if above the guaranteed minimum then no fault can be logged, no engineer will come out, and nothing more can be done.
That is not true in every circumstance.

Obviously being below the guaranteed minimum is worth knowing about, but it isn't a requirement in order for BT/Openreach to investigate and fix things. That's my point.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 28

In some ways the voluntary code is flawed as it suggests that there will always be 10% of customers not getting the guaranteed service level, and allowing them to cancel the contract doesn't fix the problem if moving to a different provider using the OpenReach infrastructure. Interestingly not all ISP's signed up to the code as some saw it as confusing and largely unhelpful to customers. Ofcom were I think reviewing it and looking to publish an updated version. Not sure if that has now happened?
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 28

You can log a BT fault when you wish using the online tool.
In order for BT to raise a fault with open reach they need to have a good reason as that costs money
The truth is most time the BT part of fault resolution is not very effective and if you have worked out about the test socket totally ineffective
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 28

@coco777,

This is the info about the guaranteed minimum connection speed. If you are really bored it contains a link to the voluntary code of practice document.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

You currently get
61Mb-79Mb Estimated download speed range*
54Mb Minimum guaranteed speed

Your current connection speed of under 40 is certainly well below both the estimated A range low and the guaranteed minimum.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 28

The official Ofcom page.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/codes-of-practice/broadband-speeds-cop-2010/

Includes a 2015 updated version and a plain English summary.
0 Ratings