cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coco777
Beginner
Message 21 of 28

Re: Who is responsible for fault in underground cable between Green box and my home ?

It's not only the low speeds that's infuriating, it's the constant dropping of my broadband connection, when it drops it can be on - off - on -off for long periods, it's so frustrating, if it was just about the low speeds I would'nt even be here complaining. 

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 28

Re: Who is responsible for fault in underground cable between Green box and my home ?

The low speed could well be a result of the numerous drops and re-connections. The DLM doesn't like instability or unreliability (error counts) and may force a lower speed in an attempt to improve things.

As you are using a HH5-A you do have the option of installing the free RouterStatsHub software on a PC and running it in the background to collect stats and then allow you to view them over time in the form of charts. That might help to build up a clearer picture of events. In particular it's worth checking if the SNR margins (noise margins) stay pretty constant between re-connections or vary greatly. You would expect some daily variation but nothing too drastic. The safety margins are put in place to maintain a fixed connection speed whilst allowing for these normal variations in noise.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 28

Another thing to look out for is patterns linked to weather. For example does it start dropping the connection after rain? Water getting into underground ducts/cabling/joints is generally not a good thing! 🙂

Any clues like that might be helpful info for an engineer if you get a visit arranged.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 28

By the way when i ordered infinity the range was up to 40 and minimum 31. When i upgraded it was 42-58 and minimum 35
It is onvious something was changed on the backend to have such improvement!
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 28

According to the help page the guaranteed minimum isn't just a reflection of your particular line capability. It's a figure based on many lines in a similar physical situation (distance, attenuation) and on the same service. So I suppose if you have changed from the 40/10 to the 55/10 service then the guaranteed figure could be different.

Note: Wasn't the up to 40 just details on the order for the 40/10 service? You gave a higher than that FTTC A range in other earlier threads so it's just limited by the 40 cap. Your upgrade to 55/10 should have said up to 55 based on your range.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 28

If a customer has a FTTC A range of 42 - 58 then I would expect ....

A 40/10 order to give an estimate of 40 - 40 (probably worded as just 40).

A 55/10 order to give an estimate of 42 - 55.

A 80/20 order to give an estimate of 42 - 58.

The guaranteed minimum could be different for each different service based on other customers on that service.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 28

I would agree that in general if on 40/10 the bottom 10% in a similar situation got max 31, then if you moved all those customers to 55/10 you would still expect those bottom 10% to be getting a max of 31.

Possibly the guaranteed figure they gave you for 55/10 would reduce as a bigger sample are moved onto it? Who knows exactly how they calculate it.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 28

According to the BT Consumer web site a while back my estimate was 79 - 80 with a guaranteed figure of 74.

I've never been on Infinity 2 to test those claims, but doubt I would complain if I only got 73. 🙂
0 Ratings