cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Who is right? port forwarding ip cams

I've successfully setup 1 tenvis ip cam that works on Lan and outside the home network. I've been told multiple times I CAN setup as many as 30 cameras on one port or port range however I've tried about 1000 times and I cannot port forward the second camera because every other port is CLOSED.

Port 81 or 8080 etc etc never works. I've tried entering in the router port forward settings single ports tpc/upd and ranges for eg 80 - 81. No matter what I Tey the 2nd cam never works because from what I understand I need a seperation open port for it which I don't have.

So is it possible and if so how or not?

Thanks
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Who is right? port forwarding ip cams

Each camera needs to have its own incoming port mapped to the camera IP address, you cannot map a range of ports to more than one device.

eg

Camera 1 on port 80 would need its own rule.

Camera 2 on port 81 would need its own rule.

etc

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

For the sake of making my post simple i spoke as if it was myself, the cameras are my dads and ive set them up for him....Ok thanks for the response, this has been my firm view and opinion for a long time however every time i speak to dad he is absolutely adamant that it can be done as he has supposedly spoken to a guy at a cctv shop a friends whose got it working and a bt engineer.

I don't know what to believe any more....can ANYBODY who has more than 1 ip cam setup on bt hh3 (not infinity) confirm if it is possible or is it impossible unless for eg port 80 AND port 81 is open.

I need a solution because it's driving me up the wall.

Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

EDIT:Currently he only has port 80 open and I can get ip cam working on that easily but never the second cam because I don't have another open port to map the cameras ip to.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

You would have to change the port number on the second IP camera to port 81. Then map port 81 incoming, to the IP address of the second camera.

To access the second camera from its web address, you would have to use http://xxxxxxx.xxx:81/  where xxxx is your DDNS host name.

The :81 specifies the alternative stream (port number).

Each camera must have its IP address set to static IP, outside of the home hubs DHCP range.

Typically 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63

There are some examples on this page.

CCTV and IP cameras - port forwarding

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for your reply Keith however either I don't understand you or you've misunderstood me...I can't map port 81 to the second cams ip address it doesn't work because port 81 is closed....or am I missing something?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

I think there are two issues here that is causing your confusion.

As an example I have four cameras connected to my BTHub via ONE STATIC IP ADDRESS and the app that I use on my Android phone can access them all at the one time via my DNS address.

( That would be the bit from the CCTV shop saying one port all cameras )

Presumably as you are using port 80 you are trying to access your CCTV box via HTTP and log into it; from there you will most likely get a menu that will allow you to select a camera.

If that's right then I see a problem; HTTP access isn't secure so if you have to send a password anyone will be able to see it.

Just my thoughts !!!  Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

The second cams access port number would need to be changed from its default port 80, to port 81.

Most IP cameras will allow you to specify which port they provide their stream.

If its not possible to change it, then you will have to map port 80 port 80 for cam 1 IP address

Then translate port 81 incoming, to port 80 of cam 2 IP address.

The port will show as closed unless the mapping is correct, and the second camera is turned on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Ok a lot of that makes sense but I'd like to break a few bits into chunks so I understand a little easier. Currently I've setup a dyndns account and can access the working camera via the host name I've chosen. Are you saying that if I setup the second camera identically but change the 2nd cameras port (within the cameras configuration settings) to port 81 add a second host name with dyn dns with the same wan ip it should work?...obviously providing I've setup the port forward correctly?

For the 2nd cam how would I setup the rule in the router....would it be 81-81 81-81 there are four boxes all of which have 80 in for the working camera.

I've never managed to get a menu to select a camera from http login.

When you say translate port 81 incoming to port 80 of cam 2s ip address that confuses me and I'm not sure I know how to do that.

Tomorrow I could go and screen shot the current settings to show how the working one is setup if that would help?

Thank you for your help and patience
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Also I forgot to ask...are all 4 of your cameras assigned the exact same static ip address? I've never thought to try that as I thought the ip addresses had to be different?
0 Ratings