cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Whole Home WiFi - extending the plug

Hi guys, 

Just bought the Whole home WiFi 3 pack and am so far very impressed with it.

I've got two of the discs showing as an excellent connection with the 3rd in the kitchen showing as 'Good'. The only problem with this, is that the 3rd disc is a bit too close to the one in the office (which is directly above the louge) and as a result, tablets and mobiles connect to the kitchen rather than the office which is the better connection.

I've looked for a better place to put the 3rd disc and have found the perfect place on the wall which gets a 'Excellent' connection, only problem is, there's no plug socket close. So to my question, how can I expend the cable without using an extention plug? Is there a cable I can buy to plug into the end of the existing cable and then into the WiFi disc?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Whole Home WiFi - extending the plug

Hi @Timberflake1983 and welcome.

Are you referring the the power cable? If so the I wouldn't recommend altering it. You can always use an extension but I note that's not the option you're after. Maybe other community members will have a better solution.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Yes that's right the power cable.

I bought this off Amazon thinking it would do the job, but the female ends are very slightly difference sizes:

Dericam Universal Extension Cable for S1, B1, B2 Series, Compatible with 12V Power Adaper of Other Brands CCTV / IP Camera, 5.5mm DC Plug (20FT, White)

It's slightly annoying as I've found the perfect place to put the disc in the kitchen, the power cable just isn't long enough to connect it and as I result I may be better disconnecting the 3rd disc altogether if I can't extend the power cable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you do not mind, and you are competent, you could cut the power cable at some point, and add an extra length of low voltage twin cable, making sure that you keep the polarity correct. (very important)  If you have a multimeter it helps.

Most power supply leads are either a simple twin cable, with one wire marked, or a screened cable with the centre cable the + supply.

Make sure the power unit is unplugged first.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

There must be a way to extend the plug for BT Whole Home WiFi. I am sure BT will look at this! If there is no near electric socket to plug in.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

You need a 2.5mm DC power extender cable. I bought a kenable 5.5 x 2.5mm DC Power Plug to Socket CCTV Extension Lead Cable 1.5m and it works fine. There are all kinds of lengths available.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thank you, tjo - I will try a 2.5mm DC power extender cable 5.5 x 2.5mm DC Power Plug to Socket CCTV Extension Lead Cable 1.5m.
0 Ratings