cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 87

Re: BT Whole Home WiFi ***** How to connect more than 3 nodes/discs?

Go to solution

@rickbon

You would be best to ask on the Virgin user forum, as there are probably other Virgin Media users with the same equipment.

Information on my website is only specific to BT Broadband, and there is very little about the Whole Home Wifi, as there are a number of existing threads on this forum already.

0 Ratings
rickbon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 87

Go to solution

Thanks Oxlade1 - your solution is only slightly different from more than one routine I'd already tried and YES it has made all the difference, your method worked. I now have my rogue disc re-connected, all 5 are once again on the WholeHome network. I thought it might fail as when I relocated the tricky disc went from flashing purple to solid red briefly, but it did then proceed to flash and go solid on blue. Hope it doesn't go wandering off again in another week, but now I would know where to start. Cheers.

0 Ratings
rickbon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 87

Go to solution

Thanks Keith Beddoe for getting back to me, I suspect you misunderstood my question which was not knowingly related to VirginMedia, it was entirely a BT WholeHome WiFi issue re how to resolve how a disc beyond the original 3 decides ad hoc to leave the WholeHome WiFi network and broadcast its factory network, disconnected from anything else. Thanks anyway and now resolved.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 87

Go to solution

@rickbon

I will add a link to this thread, to the public website which you were directed to, as it may help others.

0 Ratings
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 55 of 87

Re: Whole Home with more than 3 discs

Go to solution

Hi

I've just bought another pair of these to try to close a couple of gaps in our wifi network, one in particular where the disc in our extension can't get a good 5GHz signal to the main router connected disc.

Putting the new one half way between has connected that new disc fine, but the one in the extension is still saying it has a Poor connection. I tried turning it off and on, tried doing a relocate. The app said the position was excellent so I think the app was picking up the new closer disc. But the actual disc still came back up as Poor connection.

Is it fixated on connecting to the one it was connected to before, and do I just need to wait more than a few hours for it to spot there's a better connection to use?

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Contributor
Message 56 of 87

Go to solution
From my own experience (and I’m an inpatient person) give it a night of sleep.
I think I have created more work for myself with the BT discs because they don’t do straight away what you want or expect them to do. Usually they sort themselves out so give it 1/2 day.
If not, I would just restart the network before going to sleep and have a look in the morning.
choddo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 87

Go to solution

@engelbertink wrote:
From my own experience (and I’m an inpatient person) give it a night of sleep.
I think I have created more work for myself with the BT discs because they don’t do straight away what you want or expect them to do. Usually they sort themselves out so give it 1/2 day.
If not, I would just restart the network before going to sleep and have a look in the morning.

Thanks

Well after 24 hours it was still Poor, so I removed it completely and re-added it from scratch (plug into router over ethernet etc) and ... it's the same. Location came back as good on the app this time, but the disc isn't having it. Line of sight through two windows to the new disc, but if the network topology diagram is accurate, every other disc including the 5th I just added as well, is connecting direct to the main one.

I'll give it a couple of days and see if it sorts itself out.

0 Ratings
engelbertink
Contributor
Message 58 of 87

Go to solution
Hi, sorry to hear that. 24hrd should definitely do it so something else is wrong.
It might sound picky but did you use the BT Ethernet cable or used your own? I have spent so much, I MEAN SOOOO MUCHHH, on setting up these disc with all their flawed firmware when just released and I remember it was one of the issues I came across. Sounds (I agree) but it solved a red lught setup issue I had.

Otherwise I would reset all the discs as should be and use the troubled disc as the one wired to the router.

I have 5 discs but reduced it to 4 as 4 work fine and only need a restart every few weeks. With 5 discs though I run into trouble much sooner (week or so) and more severe. Just FYI
Good luck
0 Ratings
Yorkie29
Contributor
Message 59 of 87

Go to solution

Having read a few posts on this forum regarding using more than three disks I'm still a little confused.  Would appreciate someone adving whether setting up and using 2 x two disk pack is the same as using a three pack plus one. If not what configuration changes need to be made and are other problems likely to be encountered over time?

0 Ratings
Dan-O
BT Devices Expert
BT Devices Expert
Message 60 of 87

Go to solution

@Yorkie29 wrote:

Having read a few posts on this forum regarding using more than three disks I'm still a little confused.  Would appreciate someone adving whether setting up and using 2 x two disk pack is the same as using a three pack plus one. If not what configuration changes need to be made and are other problems likely to be encountered over time?

Yes they would be no different- you just have to install 1 pack on initial setup, then add the others using the "Add Another Disc" process within the app.

0 Ratings