Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Why BT why ?

Go to solution

So Monday a engineer came out finally after 4 months of me reporting a fault and them cancelling the engineer and saying my line is fine ,Clearly it was not.

He came and did some work and my speeds went from 52 down and 11up with a ping of 22 ,To 60 down and 15 up and a lovely lovely ping of 13.

Now 2 days later and i am back to the rubbish speed of 52 etc etc , Its actually identical to what it was before the engineer visit.

I wouldnt mind the speed loss so much if my ping had stayed down at 13, You may think the diffrence of 9ms would make no difference but it does. My main game CsGo was like playing a brand new game and my shots were sweet and on point.

I enjoyed this playing experiance for 2 days and then this morning i wake up and check and its back to what i was.

I,m paying for infinity 2 and not getting the 55 down as they promise .

Why would this happen  ? Have they done that stupid stability thing to my line  ? I dont want them doing anything to my connection because they think it will be more stable or whatever. I know what is best as i am the one who uses it daily and i had no issues whatsoever with the imporved connection.

I am on the Home Hub 6 , Can i prevent them doing whatever it is they did to my connection  ? It took them 3 days for me to lose it .

I want my 60 down and 15 up and 13 ping , Heck i would keep the 52/11 but the lower ping of 13 . So what is going on ?  

Also when i drop down to the lower infinity 1 package will i keep these speeds of 52/11 , As i am not going to pay for something i am not getting.

My main issues is losing the ping. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Why BT why ?

Go to solution
Its all automated. They have no say on what the system does to your line.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Without knowing what the engineer did to your line it is not possible to say what the problem, if any, was. What he may possibly have done was just to carry out a DLM reset. If he did not do anything else, if there is an underlying fault DLM will just lower the speeds again as has happened here.

If you drop to Infinity 1 you will not get 11Mbps upload. On Infinity 1 it is capped at 10Mbps so you will get slightly less than that, probably about 9Mbps or slightly lower. You will probably get 52Mbps download if that is what you get at the moment.

You can not request or do anything to your line with regards to "that stupid stability thing to my line". It is called DLM (Dynamic Line Management) and it is an automated system to keep your line stable. Neither BT or any of the other ISPs have any control over it. It is maintained by Openreach.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Well it is stupid, I had no negative effects at all when it had been reset,None whatsoever, But oh no they must add 8ms to my line because they can.

Surely it should be my choice ! 

I,m so leaving BT at end of current contract. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Your choice, DLM isn't BT specific it applies to all ISPs except Virgin cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@dan44762000 wrote:

Well it is stupid, I had no negative effects at all when it had been reset,None whatsoever, But oh no they must add 8ms to my line because they can. They are not adding anything to your line because they can! DLM is adjusting your line because it needs to.

Surely it should be my choice ! What would you do if through your choice, DLM was not working on your line and it becomes unstable which results in you constantly dropping your connection. 

I,m so leaving BT at end of current contract. Good luck trying to find an ISP that doesn't have DLM on their lines. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Well I don't think Virgin media has it with their broadband. So that's a start..

And I've already said, before this was on my line or didn't anything it was totally stable. 

They need to offer a package for games who want the lowest ping possible. 

No BT fanboys need reply 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

If your line were stable then you would have good ping.

It isn't so you haven't.

Rather than have a go at those who are attempting to help you why not engage with them and you may get a solution.

Before you call me a BT fanboy be aware I'm not even a BT customer.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
So I just imagined the complete lack of any issues for 2 days when I didn't have any line management active ?
And why would you even come on BT forums if you're not even a customer ?
Why would I engage with them when they have already explained there is nothing BT can do ?
Did you read their replies ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

If your line was stable, the speed wouldn't have changed.  If it's changed, then it must have re-synced at some point.

The reset of your line after the engineer visit allowed it to re-sync at a higher rate.  But over time, the system decided that your line wasn't stable enough at that new speed, and has dropped it down to a speed it's happy with.