cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Why Does It Take So Long?

I'm moving house at the beginning of next month.  I can cease my current phone line on the day I leave, and start the new phone line on the next day, when I arrive at my new address. That's great, and exactly what I'd expect given that there's already a telephone line in my new house, and it's active (although the service is ceased at present).  Re-enabling it just requires a few keystrokes at a terminal in the local exchange.

Moving my "Infinity 2" broadband service seems to present them with six days of problems - I'll be at the new place from 4/4/17, but they can't provide broadband until 10/4/17! 

It's a trivial job, BT.  It should take about 30 seconds, not six days!

I will actually lose work without a 'net connection.  This will cost me a lot of money.  Fortunately I can use my 4G phone.......  No I can't - there's no 4G service there because EE (Nothing Anywhere) are even more inept than BT!

Telecommunication services in this country are an abysmal joke.  There are NO credible companies.  BT and Virgin (on the ridiculous) are as bad as each other.  Neither provide a realistically priced, high quality service. 

In other countries, I can get sevice provision next day - even at weekends - and I can get genuine Gb speeds for £10 / month.  BT and Virgin are monopolies and treat their customers with utter contempt.  They "don't need" our business - take it or leave it - they don't care either way, and there's no other option, since they're monopolies.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Why Does It Take So Long?

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach (A BT Group Business) who work for all Service Providers apart from Virgin Media. BT Retail do not get any special treatment.

Its not simply a case of keystrokes, it involve physical re-jumpering in the exchange, more so if the last resident was not a customer of BT Retail.

Also BT Infinity requires work at the cabinet, assuming there is spare capacity, otherwise you would be put on a waiting list.

All of this work will be put in the Openreach queue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Not only this, but the circuit also has to be built on BT Wholesales systems to allow the physical connection from the cabinet to be able to pass data across the network, to and fron the internet,
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Both - thanks for your answers, but you're both wrong. The place I'm moving to already has had Infinity VDSL, and the telephone circuit remains live  - albeit disabled.  There is no work required at the cabinet, and it really is a few keystrokes at the local switch to re-enable the line and allocate a number to it. (I designed exchange equipment for BT).

It's simply bureaucratic incompetence - paper instructions between departments - frequently in triplicate - and a general unwillingness to actually do the job properly and offer a service that people might want to pay for.

When moving into my flat in Fort Worth, Texas, I visited the local AT&T shop in the nearest shopping mall.  They were happy to provide a line and apologised that they wouldn't be able to do it "until tomorrow"!  At 7am the following day, there was a lineman up a pole across the street, providing an additional line to the building I lived in.  I had telephone service by 9am - and this was on a Saturday!

I have a genuine 1Gb/s connection (too fast for Windoze - you HAVE to use Linux) in Finland, which costs just under £10 for each 28 days (billed 13 times per year).  That's REAL broadband, not the half-baked, over-contended, frequently failing, DNS-poisoned mess that's all you can get in this country.

FFS this is intolerable!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

I think sir, you'll find I'm 100% correct.

It doesn't matter if there's an existing service. A whole new circuit will be built for YOUR order, including new circuit identifiers and new routing. A new port will also be allocated in the cabinet, which will require physical work from an engineer.

This is the UK not the US, but I do hope you find something nice to do while you wait for your activation.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

I've given the clowns three week's notice of the move and they still can't do the job until seven days after I move.  They're just incompetent, but appear to be (just about) the best of an abysmal lot. Their "service" is under-specified and wildly over-priced, but they don't have any competition, so they can get away with it.

If they're "building a whole new circuit" for my service, I want a nine-nines up-time guarantee and no contention.  If they can't achieve this with a new provision, there's no hope whatsoever for them.  The first company who can offer a slightly good data service in this country - by whatever medium - will clean up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

If you want that sort of service guarantee you need a leased line.

There are hundreds of communication providers who use the Openreach network - plenty of choice in my opinion.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Chris_Hunter wrote: I want a nine-nines up-time guarantee and no contention.  If they can't achieve this with a new provision, there's no hope whatsoever for them

Remember, BT Residential Broadband is for personal non-business usage, with no guarantee of un-interrupted service.

Perhaps you should be thinking of a BT Business package with a TotalCare or similar SLA?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Webby

You might be right that there are endless companies offering services, but there's no choice - they're all using BT Openbreach, so they're all equally useless.

The problem is Openbreach - they have entirely failed to provide the level of service that they are supposed to, and they don't care that they haven't - they are a monopoly of the worst sort.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Keith

I neither want nor need a business service with "Total Care".  Careful examination of their terms and conditions fails to offer any actual guarantee of service anyway - it should be called "Total Lack of Care".

Everywhere else in the world that I purchase web services, I'm given accurate data transmission speeds (none of this weasel "up to") and guarantees of up-time.  These are not business accounts - they're just normal, domestic accounts.  Every one of them is significantly cheaper than anything available in the UK, and every last one of them has data rates of at least more than four times the fastest service available here.  All of them use FTTH - not this dreadful FTTC that they claim is "fibre internet".  It's not.  It's fibre to the end of your street (maybe) and them a bit of crappy twisted pair (in the case of BT) or a piece of the cheapest, nastiest rotting coax (in the case of Virgin).  The stupid thing is that FTTH really doesn't cost any more these days.

All the other service providers just re-sell BT Openbreach or Virgin (on the ridiculous).  They're not a choice at all - they're just adding their charge to the wholesale price from BT or Virgin and claiming to be an internet service provider.  They're not.  They just shuffle bits of paper around and charge the customer for it.

Virgin won't ever get my business after they:

1.  Failed to repair an outage (due to a duff PSU in a cabinet) for nearly five weeks - one of my trainees could have resolved the fault in ten minutes.

2.  Started selling every user's browsing data to "Phorm".  Despite their protestations, the data sold isn't just metadata, it's traceable to individual users.  Police State, anyone?

BT seem to be the best of an appalling lot, but still can't motivate Openbreach (their subsidiary) to provide service in less than four weeks, to a premises that had VDSL service before.  Absolutely useless.

0 Ratings