cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chan12
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Why am I unable to use any router except Bt Home Hub?

I have a BT broadband connection and until a few months back used the BT Home Hub to connect to the internet.

I purchased a Belkin Router, just a basic one designed to be used with BT connections and set it up. It worked fine for a few days, but then the speed dropped from the usual 1500KBPS to around 300.The ip profile showed a cap of 500kbps on the line.

An engineer came from open reach and later when speaking to BT again I was told the line itself had no problems and that it must be my belkin router. So I took it back to the shop and purchased a netgear basic router, again designed for use with bt adsl connections.

Again the same thing happened and speed dropped to around 300kbps. 2 more engineers came out and found no line problem, they spoke to BT who told them it was a problem with the router and again told me to use the BT Homehub.

So I put the home hub in and they removed the cap and I am back getting 1300kbps, but I really want to use my own router, for various reasons, mainly because there are more security features on my netgear router and I have had alot of computer security problems of late.

It makes no sense to me, there is no fault on my netgear router, but why do BT cap the line when I plug in any router other than the home hub?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Why am I unable to use any router except Bt Home Hub?

Trouble is BT are only obliged to provide support for their own equiptment.

I guess you've checked the settings are correct,but just in case here they are again -

Broadband username (PPP): bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Broadband password: none required
Encapsulation: PPPoA or PPP over ATM
Muliplexing: VC based or VC Mux
VPI/VCI: 0/38

I use a Netgear DG834G and these settings work fine.

other than that,not much help I'm afraid.

Del.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 18

Like djh22

I have used various routers no problem ??   includes belkin  and netgear

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 18

It's not actually the routers that is causing the "cap" you are talking about.

The fact you are making interventions into the broadband line, is causing the dslam to see signal interuptions.

The dslam runs line management and if it sees successive interventions, sees it as line "flapping" ....

with a reduction in line IP profile and associated throughput. Your netgear router if set up properly as Del

described, will admirably handle the broadband and probably better than the hub. Once connected and stabilised,

a continuous 3 day period of stability will see the line profile go back up on its own.

The netgear actually has some benefits over the hub, but also some shortfalls, but from a broadband throughput

perspective, the choice is sound.   😉

chan12
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

I understand that BT do not offer support for different routers, but I do not require support, it is quite simple to set up, I have used the settings as per the BT help pamphlet and as posted here.

There is no problem with the line, the router has no problems, it is that a cap is being put on the line everytime i plugin my router, I can see it clearly when I do the speedtest at speedtester.bt.com, the ip profile changes from 1500kbps down to 500kbps and my speed changes proportionately.

Is the ip config an automated setting or is it something being manually set by someone at BT?

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Yea, it is automated, leave it to do it's own thing for a few days as Roger says and it should come back up,untouched by human hand Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 18

You may have posted as I posted the above ....   Smiley Happy

But the line IP is set at the radius server ... from information gleened from dynamic line management

and associated sync rates with the dslam.  Once the line is trained, historical data, line noise margin and loop loss

form the baseline for an algorithm to set the MSR, and maximum line throughput for a stable connection.

All automatic. The secret to maintaining it is to leave the router undisturbed while the IP increases to its

maximum setting for the line, and keeping the line free of impulse noise.   😉

As Del says ,,,,

chan12
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Thanks, yes I did post at the same time as you, so had not read your reply.

Am I right in thinking that if I leave the BT Home Hub in while the ip conf speed is stabilising, that once it has become stable, I should be able to plug in my netgear router again.

As I have been told that I have to plugin the BT Home Hub to get the speed back up, for the ip config to reset.

I previously left it one week and then plugged back in my netgear router, within a few days it capped again, so I am thinking I need to leave the bt home hub in longer for the line to stabilise?

I have asked over and over again for the line to be stabilised while my netgear router is in, but am told that it will not work. As I say, the router itself is running perfectly well and I use the correct settings, so it is really this I am questioning, why can they not stabilise my line with my netgear router in...

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 18

Your line IP will recover with any router .....

But if you take out the BT hub now before the IP has had time to recover, the time constraint for waiting for it,

will start over .... as you will have to interfere with the connection.

Whereas if you leave the hub on .... get the IP first, then connect the netgear .... that will work fine ...

Providing you do it .... in a once only operation, and not multiple tries ...    😉

Try and post the stats, from the hub / lets see what's happpening ...

0 Ratings
djh22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

I had terrible problems with the Hub because it kept disconnecting and dropped my stats each time , so I decided to give it up in favour of my own Netgear which is a pity because I liked having the Hub phone as a second line.

Anyway, when I first put my Netgear on the connection dropped even further like a stone but I left it connected while the connection stabilised.

0 Ratings